Has anyone here ever used the Ballista Penetrating Bolt Gun from bunnyrancher.com?

ShepherdLake25

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have had a Ballista for about two years, to use in the event of an emergency with one of our small breed pet rabbits we raise if things went badly and we couldn't get to a vet quickly enough to alleviate suffering. One of my daughters wanted to try a meat rabbit 4-H project, so I figured we could put the Ballista to use and decide if we were a family who enjoyed eating rabbit meat. If used on young rabbits, it seems to work pretty well. We followed the enclosed instructions to a T. I have had to "hit" them with it multiple times on multiple occasions. There is a lot more kicking and spasming than I expected. I attempted to order the larger model for some larger, older rabbits because the Ballista wasn't cutting it but they no longer stock the larger model. I am not happy with the results, because I usually had to resort to hitting them on the back of the head to finish the job. It was not the pain-free, stress-free method we had hoped it would be. Initially, it seemed to work well, but it has become less effective over time, despite careful cleaning and maintenance.

I joined the forum to get some advice on finding an air gun to purchase for dispatching the meat rabbits instead of using the Ballista, because we do not find it to be humane. I will keep it for the smaller breed rabbits we raise (for emergencies) but want to find faster and cleaner for dispatching the meat rabbits.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have had a Ballista for about two years, to use in the event of an emergency with one of our small breed pet rabbits we raise if things went badly and we couldn't get to a vet quickly enough to alleviate suffering. One of my daughters wanted to try a meat rabbit 4-H project, so I figured we could put the Ballista to use and decide if we were a family who enjoyed eating rabbit meat. If used on young rabbits, it seems to work pretty well. We followed the enclosed instructions to a T. I have had to "hit" them with it multiple times on multiple occasions. There is a lot more kicking and spasming than I expected. I attempted to order the larger model for some larger, older rabbits because the Ballista wasn't cutting it but they no longer stock the larger model. I am not happy with the results, because I usually had to resort to hitting them on the back of the head to finish the job. It was not the pain-free, stress-free method we had hoped it would be. Initially, it seemed to work well, but it has become less effective over time, despite careful cleaning and maintenance.

I joined the forum to get some advice on finding an air gun to purchase for dispatching the meat rabbits instead of using the Ballista, because we do not find it to be humane. I will keep it for the smaller breed rabbits we raise (for emergencies) but want to find faster and cleaner for dispatching the meat rabbits.
Wow ok thank you that is very informative. What size were the meat rabbits you have been having problems with?

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That makes me feel a LITTLE better. I am planning to process my rabbits at 8-10 weeks or 4-5 lbs. I think I read that the ballista is rated for rabbits up to 12 pounds so 10 is the high end of that spectrum. I'd imagine the skulls are quite a bit thicker then.
Hopefully the gun will be at least enough to stun them for bleed out. I plan on immediately slicing the neck after applying the bolt. I will be sure to post on this forum about my experiences with it. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I have used the broomstick on a few rabbits, small young rabbits not a full grown rabbit yet. I actually sold some rabbits for dog food to someone and they asked me to dispatch first. Since then I culled 2 as well. It is not fun for small rabbits, and they definitely move around alot after. Death throws? Like how a chicken will still move around after its head is cut off. I think no matter how you cull you will still have some moving, hopping, flopping. I agree it is rough. I was thinking I need a piece of rebar instead of the fat broomstick. I am going to be butchering rabbits soon, I swear. I have 3 I reserved growing out now. Plus I have a doe my dog carried around in his mouth and she can't have babies. She is on the list too. Honestly I'm more worried about the actual butchering than the dispatching. I can do that part, my daughter helped me!

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I have used the broomstick on a few rabbits, small young rabbits not a full grown rabbit yet. I actually sold some rabbits for dog food to someone and they asked me to dispatch first. Since then I culled 2 as well. It is not fun for small rabbits, and they definitely move around alot after. Death throws? Like how a chicken will still move around after its head is cut off. I think no matter how you cull you will still have some moving, hopping, flopping. I agree it is rough. I was thinking I need a piece of rebar instead of the fat broomstick. I am going to be butchering rabbits soon, I swear. I have 3 I reserved growing out now. Plus I have a doe my dog carried around in his mouth and she can't have babies. She is on the list too. Honestly I'm more worried about the actual butchering than the dispatching. I can do that part, my daughter helped me!
I have done a few using a pellet gun. I think, like you said, death throes are an inevitable action of the nervous system's last hurrah. I am hoping the bolt gun is quick and easy for all involved.

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have used the broomstick method and then got a ballista. We were disappointed with the results. More "throes". I think we will go back to broomstick using a large dowel rod. The little machine itself is impressive - very well made - so I don't know why it doesn't work better. If we were more experienced, I would just knock them on the head to stun them really well and then slit the throat like I saw in one video.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have used the broomstick method and then got a ballista. We were disappointed with the results. More "throes". I think we will go back to broomstick using a large dowel rod. The little machine itself is impressive - very well made - so I don't know why it doesn't work better. If we were more experienced, I would just knock them on the head to stun them really well and then slit the throat like I saw in one video.
Appreciate your insight. What size/age rabbits were you dispatching?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH just dispatches by holding the back legs and the neck, then gently but quickly pulling. It breaks their neck and then he slits their throat. There are no death throws I recall ever seeing. The positioning for it is, holding a rabbit like normal, reversed on your arm, the supporting arm holds the back legs above the hocks and the off hand wraps around the neck from the back. The rabbits dont even freak out, even those not used to being held. It's all very calm and non-stressful for the rabbits and humans alike.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I had chickens, ducks and rabbits, I used a 1/2" rebar to broomstick the rabbits. I wouldn't say it breaks their neck, moreso rips/disconnects the chord and joints apart. Either way, dead right away.
The birds, I used an axe. Cutting the throat is not the most humane, period. Removing the head/disconnecting head from body or obliterating the head with a mallet or gun are the most humane methods for any animal.
Problem with broomstick is bruising, but thinner rebar would help or using the rabbit popper/hopper or w/e it was called. It was metal bent in a V and it could hang animal by feet afterwards to gut it.
Thought about getting a bolt gun, but thinking about the spring eventually wearing or stories of people not pulling it properly and things going awry stopped me.

Latest posts