Has anyone here ever used the Ballista Penetrating Bolt Gun from bunnyrancher.com?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For birds we cut the sides of the neck where the large arteries are, it is not instant but they pass out in a few seconds from blood loss. We have tried cutting the head clean off and since we hang it seems to actually take longer/be more struggle. Also I dont think I would want to feel someone cutting my head off, passing out seems more humane to me. I agree an axe is most humane, I always have the fear of that one time there was movement when you already swung and also the flapping all over after the deed.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
For birds we cut the sides of the neck where the large arteries are, it is not instant but they pass out in a few seconds from blood loss. We have tried cutting the head clean off and since we hang it seems to actually take longer/be more struggle. Also I dont think I would want to feel someone cutting my head off, passing out seems more humane to me. I agree an axe is most humane, I always have the fear of that one time there was movement when you already swung and also the flapping all over after the deed.
I used a wide board and two long, slightly bent nails close together on one end. Slip neck between nails and turn nails to "lock in", then pull on legs until neck is stretched out fully.
Getting the aim right took practice, sharpening the axe was also very important. They're all quite dull fresh from a store.

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DH just dispatches by holding the back legs and the neck, then gently but quickly pulling. It breaks their neck and then he slits their throat. There are no death throws I recall ever seeing. The positioning for it is, holding a rabbit like normal, reversed on your arm, the supporting arm holds the back legs above the hocks and the off hand wraps around the neck from the back. The rabbits dont even freak out, even those not used to being held. It's all very calm and non-stressful for the rabbits and humans alike.
That's exactly what we want it to be like.

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Appreciate your insight. What size/age rabbits were you dispatching?
Without checking for exactness, one batch was about 14 weeks and dressed out about 4 lbs and the other was about 12 weeks and dressed out to about 3 lbs.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got a chance to use my bolt gun yesterday for the first time. Overall I was very pleased with it. I processed 9, 10ish week old rabbits ranging from 4.5-6 pounds. Of the 9, one screamed after the bolt before I could decapitate it.

Some observations: I think with the right placement the gun will work EVERY TIME. The screamer I got was early on (my 3rd of the day). I certainly got more proficient placing the rabbit/gun with a little practice. After the screamer I started swishing around the bolt before removing it from the skull to fully scramble the brain. I think this helps ensure senselessness and gives a tiny bit of lee way with placement. Also, I believe that immediate decapitation after bolting is the way to go. If I would have done that with the screamer, well, it wouldn't have screamed.

Long story short I would recommend the bolt gun. Yesterday was my first time using it ever and the first time processing a batch of my own rabbits. After watching the video on the bunny rancher website a dozen or so times I felt as ready as I was going to feel. It seemed to me that it was lights out for the buns before they even knew what hit them. No odd positions on the ground or lifting into a popper. I will not be seeking alternate methods and for now will continue with the Ballista as my go to dispatch method for rabbits, followed by immediate removal of the head.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the Ballista Penetrating Bolt Gun from bunnyrancher.com?

Since most of the captive bolt guns we've found have been several hundred dollars, this $65 contraption sounds too good to be true... I think it would be easier for me to stomach than blunt force or broomstick, etc.. neck breaking methods. We have chickens and will be processing our first roos in a couple weeks, and are looking into getting rabbits (after we build ourselves a house -- maybe later this year).

It seems like a relatively easy method for beginners like us...
With a captive bolt stunner you are basically handling a firearm. I have heard of them being used for rabbits and chickens but they are most certainly overkill. This is swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.
I have found a firm grasp behind the front legs and the head slipped between a purpose cut ‘U’ -headboard to hold the cut mark in place and a very sharp knife to be the most consistent, reliable method with the least damage to the meat. If the rabbit is not in complete control when the final blow comes you can lose fingers or at least destroy more meat than necessary. Having a row of nooses that you can slip the rear feet into to complete a proper bleed out is essential to have pre-prepared. If the meat is not fully bled out your customers will get a reddish/brownish ‘juice’ during cooking and an ‘earthy’ flavor. Properly bled meat is brightly flavored and takes on spices and vegetables cooked with it without a distortion of the ‘fresh meat flavor’. I would recommend dissecting the next rabbit you kill and become VERY familiar with orbit, neck attachment and brain stem position. This will help if you decide to go with a stunner. Also, make sure your non-gun holding hand is well away from where the bolt is traveling…same with legs, feet, wife…etc.
I use a 9mm captive bolt gun (‘Blitz’ brand by name) for harvesting sheep, goat, cow (and it is so reliable and humane that I will use it on my dog when that time comes). It is utterly instant when done right and very reliable. And yes, a good quality stunner will cost $380-$1200…but remember…it IS a firearm. That bolt can break and continue on it’s path for hundreds of feet. The cheapest brand is not always the most frugal. I am not familiar with the ballista. If it is purpose made for rabbits it may be the best one out there..price is only a guide.
That’s my two cents. I’ve seen it done and done the deed many times and if you have a ‘jig’ in place to control movement you are already half way done.

Last edited: