Having trouble settling on one dog

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Need I say more? ;)
This is BLUE!
lgd-blue-anatolian-pyr-june-19-2016-008-2-jpg.19677

My computer is broke... so this is very hard to do and can't do much :(

Above is one of my dogs (pups) The two pictured here are Anatolian /Pyrenees Cross. My avatar is the sire and dam. YES THEY WERE PLANNED! I have tolis, pyrs, and toli/pyrs. I like the well put together toli pyr myself.

They have great personality, great power and keen ability. They can be very good as a "farmdog" . WE use ours as Livestock guardians not farmdogs but they are suited for such. Not all pyrs roam but have the propensity to do so. Not sure what region you are in but that may play a part in what you need as well. No other dogs can deal with coyote, wolf, bears like a LGD breed.

Computer fritzing again ( borrowed laptop that is semi operable)... try more in a bit

Are you wanting to send Blue off to a new home?

Birdy Côté

Just born
Reaction score
I've always had hunting dogs, mostly labradors. Love them, and may get another some day. However, I've since moved to a remote area and started a small homestead. We have about 50 15-50 chickens at any given time as we settle on a breed. We have pigs in and out, and a garden. Rabbits and goats may come next year. We haven't had a predator "problem" because we secure all the chickens and the pigs have gotten bigger. We do frequently have raccoons, bear, coyotes, and fox on the property, though.

I'd like a dog to fit into the mix. It would primarily be a pet, but we want something that can stand up to a predator in the event they meet. We want something that typically predisposed to eating my poultry, if there is such a thing. I've been researching this for awhile and spoken to some breeders. Breeds I've looked at are:

Pyrenees: I was told this dog wouldn't work because my property isn't fenced and it will take off, even if trained.

Maremma and Bernese Mountain Dog: I was told I don't have enough animals to keep these dogs working, and they needs to live with the livestock.

Anatolian Shepherd: Haven't found a local breeder to speak with yet.

Am I just out of luck? Should I just get a mutt and train it as best as I can. What does everyone else use or think may work in a situation like mine?

I know a woman with a part Pyrenees mutt- PERFECT. DOG. She was bred in Kansas, but given to a shelter. she doesn't work a farm, but she's so sweet to people, but will fight a dog if they challenge her; I'm sure she'd take on a coon or coyote. She has the size and snow white coat of a Py, but with her few spots, i think shes part border collie.
I know she has had pups; maybe you'll find a grandpup of hers. Don't pass up a mutt, they're often more loyal and healthy than purebreds.

EDIT; How on earth could I forget?? She works with horses.. Lives indoors, hangs with the horses all day. Quite good about not getting kicked.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know a woman with a part Pyrenees mutt- PERFECT. DOG. She was bred in Kansas, but given to a shelter. she doesn't work a farm, but she's so sweet to people, but will fight a dog if they challenge her; I'm sure she'd take on a coon or coyote. She has the size and snow white coat of a Py, but with her few spots, i think shes part border collie.
I know she has had pups; maybe you'll find a grandpup of hers. Don't pass up a mutt, they're often more loyal and healthy than purebreds.

Welcome to BYH.
I hate that pretty much your first post is going to be met with a rebuke.
Your end statement, and I quote "Don't pass up a mutt, they're often more loyal and healthy than purebreds." Is not only false but quite foolish and has absolutely no merit to it whatsoever.
As far as the "perfect mutt" Pyr/Border Collie.... some may be an adequate farmdog. Livestock guardians are different from farmdogs.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unrelated to the suitability of a given dog, mutt or purebred, Great Pyrenees are not always pure white. In fact they frequently have masks, spots, etc.

Birdy Côté

Just born
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH.
I hate that pretty much your first post is going to be met with a rebuke.
Your end statement, and I quote "Don't pass up a mutt, they're often more loyal and healthy than purebreds." Is not only false but quite foolish and has absolutely no merit to it whatsoever.
As far as the "perfect mutt" Pyr/Border Collie.... some may be an adequate farmdog. Livestock guardians are different from farmdogs.

When I say farmdog, I mean a dog that can perform well in multiple ways while in the presence of livestock (including guarding them). Sorry for the confusion.

As for mutts, everyone can agree that all breeds typically have standard health issues. in larger breeds such as Great danes, circulation. In shepards, dysplasia. Pugs, respiratory and reproductive. My own "purebred" German Shepherd Dog is, quite bluntly, a defected one. Severe anxiety, aggression, and very prone to eat infections. But I'm not one to abandon dogs. And this coming after 30+ years of shepherds.. I suspect poor bloodlines.

"Purebred" does NOT mean healthy or sane.

And by "perfect mutt", I was speaking of the one mutt in particular. It's ridiculous to claim that blood makes a good dog. Mutts can be awful as well.

As for (And I quote) "no merit" for mutts being healthier than purebreds? Elementary grade science will tell you that the more diversity of the gene pool, the less occurrences of genetic/hereditary diseases of weaknesses.
The unwavering loyalty of a mutt, is however, an opinion. And resorting to call someone an Idiot for their opinion of mutts? Thank you, I appreciate the warm welcome. However, I digress.
Have a good one :)

Birdy Côté

Just born
Reaction score
Unrelated to the suitability of a given dog, mutt or purebred, Great Pyrenees are not always pure white. In fact they frequently have masks, spots, etc.

Yes, although she's smaller than the breed standard, so I've got to assume she's got something else in her :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Didn't see anyone call you an Idiot.

EDIT; How on earth could I forget?? She works with horses.. Lives indoors, hangs with the horses all day. Quite good about not getting kicked.
Glad she is doing well for her owners :thumbsup
Most dogs however will do just as you said. Doesn't matter if they are a mutt or purebred. :)

I do think it really depends on the dog… some mutts are healthier and PB's and vice versa.

I've seen mutts that are allergic to EVERYTHING :rolleyes: and have all kinds of health issues.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
As for (And I quote) "no merit" for mutts being healthier than purebreds? Elementary grade science will tell you that the more diversity of the gene pool, the less occurrences of genetic/hereditary diseases of weaknesses.
The unwavering loyalty of a mutt, is however, an opinion. And resorting to call someone an Idiot for their opinion of mutts?

I am well past elementary science and therefore I disagree with your statement. Diversity of the "gene pool" does not guarantee less occurrence of disease or weakness.
Mutts as well as purebreds may have serious health consequences.
Poor temperament and or unsound dogs are from poor genetics and crosses that have extreme different purposes.
I am not anti "mutt" quite the contrary. However, to make a statement such as you did is simply without merit, plain and simple.

I did not call you an idiot.

Birdy Côté

Just born
Reaction score
I am well past elementary science and therefore I disagree with your statement. Diversity of the "gene pool" does not guarantee less occurrence of disease or weakness.
Mutts as well as purebreds may have serious health consequences.
Poor temperament and or unsound dogs are from poor genetics and crosses that have extreme different purposes.
I am not anti "mutt" quite the contrary. However, to make a statement such as you did is simply without merit, plain and simple.

I did not call you an idiot.

Science can never be guaranteed- something may be the same 99.9999% of the time, but there are exceptions to everything. However, when canids are limited in their breeding, genes between individuals may interact poorly. All breeds have suffered from inbreeding at one point or another, typically around the time they are founded, to preserve very selective traits. Keyword; *may*, *prone*, and *typically.* Not always.
I do enjoy purebred dogs, and they can be wonderful companions. But from a scientific, genetic standpoint, crossing healthy mutts will often produce dogs of varying appearance and characteristics, and usually of wonderful health.