Hello from SoCal

fargosmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've migrated here from BYC . . . my chickens are happy and healthy and I'm interested in learning more about caring for other animals. Cheers to all, and happy new year!
BTW what is the little icon I see next to some topic titles? I can't see it well but maybe it's a little cow . . . ? Can't figure out what it means.

Anyway, my BF mentioned (out of the blue) that he thinks we should learn more about raising either alpacas or angora goats, with the eventual hope that we might have a hobby that brings in a little cash. I don't think either one will make us rich (or even let us retire) but I'm interested in both, and would like to know if one or the other is an easier introduction into keeping herd animals. I don't expect any animal to be effortless to keep, but is one or the other in any way more or less complicated, health- and management-wise?

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome from an x SoCal

The little cow icon means there are posts there you have not read.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome from Thurmont, MD and Happy New Year to you.

Yeap that is how it starts. You have chickens, you get on BYC, then you click on the BYH link and then you have goats, sheep, a rabbit or two. There really should be a BIG BOLD WARNING when you click on the link.

You definately will not get rich. But I don't think you can put a price on the enjoyment you get out of animals. For me, I work ever day in a fast pace job. And going to barn is what brings me back to earth and relaxes me.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BYHCountessGreen.jpg

You will find lots of nice people very willing to help you here!

fargosmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks all! Yes, I know quite well that we'll never get rich. Never have been rich (financially anyway) so I don't think I'll miss it. But as the saying goes "(S)he who knows when (s)he has enough is truly wealthy." So I'm as rich as I need to be. We're really just looking for our way out of our current rat-race rut. We want to find a way to have a slower, more "human" lifestyle, and as far as I'm concerned (and John too) that includes critters. So I'm here to learn whatever I can. Thanks to everyone for the wisdom!

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm also from SoCal and fairly new to the site (well, I joined a while back but just haven't posted much).