hello from texas

Melissa13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
im a brand new homesteader with just chickens for right now looking into starting a rabbitry. Eventually my husband and i are looking into raising our own chickens, rabbits and a few other animals so we can live off the land. any info on starting a rabbitry and specifically tamuk breed would be breatly appreciated

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi neighbor! I’m in Trinity county between Lufkin and Crockett. Where in Texas are you?

Melissa13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi neighbor! I’m in Trinity county between Lufkin and Crockett. Where in Texas are you?
im in leesburg in camp county just on the newsome/ leesburg city line

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
im in leesburg in camp county just on the newsome/ leesburg city line
I moved from Lindale in February to here.

Hanging wire cages is the easiest and in my opinion, the cleanest way to raise rabbits. Wood hutches collect poop and pee on the wood supports and must be scraped and cleaned often. You can hang them in a barn or lean to. Sides must be secured with strong wire and wire laid on the ground, attached to barn wire, around the parameter to keep varmits from digging in. In winter, you can wrap a couple of walls with plastic to block wind. If in the sun, put up wood walls to block sunrise and sunset. Leave up to 3’ gap at bottom for ventilation. Run electric to the rabbit barn for fans in summer to keep them cool.

There is an excellent rabbit forum here, start reading past posts, there is lots of information there. Ask questions as you go.

Do y’all have your land now and how many acres? What other animals do y’all want to get? Don’t go too fast and overload yourselves, it’s easy to do. LOL

Melissa13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we started with 10 chickens but now only have 2 hens.we had a few roosters but they were too aggresive. we have 3 arces all wooded with a decent size pond. we are looking to get more chickens, atleast 2 goats for milk and rabbits for meat

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Y’all are being smart and not overloading your land. A good parameter fence is a must. Use the sheep and goat wire, it comes on 330’ rolls. Is the fence line cleared? If not, that will be a good job for winter and spring. A wood burning heater would be nice. LOL