Help! Calf Down!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is a adorable. He looks way better. It makes a difference when you put the to picks together.

Reactions: cjc

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Quite the improvement! He looks a heckuvalot better :D =D Hope the joint ill clears up pretty soon.

Reactions: cjc

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He looks like a completely different calf. Good job!

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@jhm47 thanks. I have never injected in the exact same spot, I don't think, but keep in mind that this is a 2 week old calf that has been on 3 types of IM injections for 9 days. You run out of space pretty quickly haha. He is done the meds now so hopefully this clears quickly.

I posted on another forum and got the advice that this is actually really common and to be expected on a young animal like this on this type of injection schedule. They suggested the Trimidox caused the irritation.

My calf's back joints are the slightest bit still gushy. I'd say 90% better. I hope that now that he is off the drugs he continues to make improvements. :fl

Last edited:

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our friend raise's milk cows and he ads the ones he is keeping with the rest of the herd when they are 4-5 months old.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@TAH ok great thanks. Wow though...4-5 months on his own poor little guy. I sure hope another calf pops out soon so he has someone to join him! He just loves the company of the cows but now he can only have it through a fence.

What are your thoughts on putting him in with 2 of the big mama cows I have? They are both separated as they are due to calf soon. He was born in the field with the 2 big mamas.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on putting him in with 2 of the big mama cows I have? They are both separated as they are due to calf soon. He was born in the field with the 2 big mamas.
I am not sure, but our friend he keeps the babys with mama cow 2 weeks, they are born in the field with the rest of the cows big and small. Have you taken him in there wit you and see how they and him react to each other?

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I did and they all just stare at me haha. He immediately runs for the udders. He was also trying to jump on them. Ever seen anything like that?

My concern is that he will get crushed. When I put him with our 6 month old steers they were really good for about 30 mins and then they just started chasing him and I could tell he was scared. He ran to the gate and I rescued him, poor guy.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would wait if he can't handle being in with the steers. When are the mama cows due? If any of them have twins you could bottle feed one and keep him in with it.