HELP! Kit stuck inside birth canal

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had to end Mascha's suffering. She got worse and worse and I could tell she wasn't going to make it.
Definitely one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I buried her and painted a stone to put on her grave.
I was expecting a bad first litter but I wasn't expecting this at all. Right now I feel like giving up on the rabbits but I know I can't...i need them.
I feel like the worst person in the world, and i'm hoping tomorrow will be easier.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had to end Mascha's suffering. She got worse and worse and I could tell she wasn't going to make it.
Definitely one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I buried her and painted a stone to put on her grave.
I was expecting a bad first litter but I wasn't expecting this at all. Right now I feel like giving up on the rabbits but I know I can't...i need them.
I feel like the worst person in the world, and i'm hoping tomorrow will be easier.

(((((HUGS))))) I am so, so sorry that you had to go through that. I don't have much experience with dwarf breeds, but it is my understanding that this is an unavoidable common occurrence. Don't beat yourself up, and don't give up on rabbits... It is very clear how much your rabbits mean to you and you are a good bunny mom.

If you really want to continue with tiny rabbits maybe consider switching over to Polish? They are not a true dwarf, so no peanuts and easier births. I have had seven litters from my trio and no problems (knock on wood). Or maybe bigger rabbits? I rarely have issues with any of my big rabbits. I have several friends who raise Netherlands and dwarf hotots, and it seems like they are just one heartbreak after another.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you...
And I thought about raising Polish a few years ago but where i was living then they were so hard to come by, so i chose Netherlands instead. Even here i don't see any Polish rabbits anywhere. I'm sure if looked harder i could find a breeder though. But I don't have as many problems with my Holland Lops or the Angoras so that's something.
I have some amazing Netherlands right now, and i would hate to give them up but i'm thinking about it. I just love them all so much and it would be so different not having them around.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you...
And I thought about raising Polish a few years ago but where i was living then they were so hard to come by, so i chose Netherlands instead. Even here i don't see any Polish rabbits anywhere. I'm sure if looked harder i could find a breeder though. But I don't have as many problems with my Holland Lops or the Angoras so that's something.
I have some amazing Netherlands right now, and i would hate to give them up but i'm thinking about it. I just love them all so much and it would be so different not having them around.

I have family near Nashville. If you are seriously interested in Polish I'd be happy to meet up with you and gift you a trio. I don't have plans to visit until next spring though.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww @GypsyG that is a wonderful offer. You are a good bunny mommy too!

I am so sorry that you had to put her down. You have to weigh up if the heartbreak when things go wrong is worth the joy when things go right. Only you can answer that.

Don’t give up on your rabbits, they are your love, your joy. You may just need to switch breeds. Big hugs.

Latest posts