Help me out here. Dogs and food...

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
I took Small Animal Pre-Vet last year and we had a veterinarian come in and talk to our class...and the last thing she said was "If there's one thing you take away from me speaking to you, it should be: do not feed your cats and dogs ham." I can't remember why, I think she said it has some sort of fat that they are unable to digest or something...so maybe it has something to do with that...?
Yeah, I remember that from animal science classes. No ham, and I can't remember if bacon was ok or not. I think it was how ham is processed that makes it not good.

Chickie2378

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
She swears that dogs will DIE if they have even an ounce of cooked pork. EXCEPT pork bone meal and ham, and pork bone marrow and pork bones.
Some old wives tale she grew up with and won't let go. Amazing people think like this. :gig

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I think the issue with ham as with sausage is the high levels of salt. My mom's dog ate a couple pounds of sausage and went into kidney failure. It was due to too much salt. But a little bit of ham won't hurt a dog. Of course, Mom's dog was very old and wasn't very healthy in the first place and it was raw sausage with tons of fat.