Help or Advice for Henrietta

Larry6

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Henrietta is just one year old. She is one of six chickens we have; got them all at the same time. She lost feathers on her chest 6 months ago. Now she is dull-colored, and her comb is pale and bent over. And she is SKINNY! Her poop looks normal, but we had it tested and it is negative for any parasites. She is acting completely normal.....foraging, eating, drinking, and running. Our other five chickens have no issues. She is not broody, and she does not act sick at all. Our chicks have DE in their run, and we gave them a dust bath a week ago. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with her?View attachment 33183 View attachment 33184

Leah567

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think she is being picked on by your other hens, a group of chickens always tend to gang up on another.

Wyorp Rock

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi @Larry6 Your photos are not showing up:hu

Feather loss can be from several things, most of the time it's feather picking. You mention that she is skinny - watch to see if she is being chased from food by the other hens.

Is she laying eggs? Are they "normal"?

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Many hens lose feathers on the chest. Do you mean upper chest or lower chest. It's normal for hens to have a bare spot for good egg contact towards their underside. They either get rubbed off or they self pluck them.

A shrunken comb can mean she's unwell, or it can mean she's not laying for some reason. The comb is used by roosters to determine fertility, and the health of the hen.

If she's acting fine, she may just be taking a break from laying. Are you getting warmer in your area? Some stop laying as the temperature increases.

Larry6

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Henrietta.png
raw.jpg

Larry6

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hi @Larry6 Your photos are not showing up:hu

Feather loss can be from several things, most of the time it's feather picking. You mention that she is skinny - watch to see if she is being chased from food by the other hens.

Is she laying eggs? Are they "normal"?

I have never seen her being chased from food. But I also don't know if she is laying. Some days I only get 5 eggs, but other days I get six. I have never seen her in the nesting box, though. I think my pics came up this time.

Larry6

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I think she is being picked on by your other hens, a group of chickens always tend to gang up on another.

I have read that is what chickens do, but I have honestly never seen it. They all seem to get along fine.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe that's what they want you to think. Try putting a video camera out there and just view it from a distance.

Larry6

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Maybe that's what they want you to think. Try putting a video camera out there and just view it from a distance.
:) That sounds like a great idea. But if she is indeed getting picked on, what can I do about it? Anything?

Leah567

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You could put on some anti peck spray.