Hera's Story

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got ping from the tracker and call from the first neighbor. I was at work still.

Cinnamon's right front knee feels swollen and she's not putting full weight on it. Minor scratches but no punctures I could find. Standing slightly hunched but peeing and drinking from mama okay.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Socks' right front knee feels swollen and she's not putting full weight on it. Minor scratches but no punctures

Probably muscle sprain when whatever it was grabbed her. Lucky no punctures. When you have puncture wounds in animals, the danger is the skin heals over the puncture and causes an infection underneath the skin. Using mastitis tubes means you can put the antibiotic into the bottom of the puncture where the infection germ is. You can also use syringes without needles to wash out unctures with iodine or disinfectant.

Hera arrived just in time!

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hera has been doing great with lambing. :loveSome sniffing of mama goopy buts but no licking or tugging. Disposed of the afterbirths once I moved mama and babies away. :sick Sound affects were gruesome.

Today I let Shy Lady have full run of night shed. She was in jug with babies for 3 days. This gives me a little less labor and lets babies explore some. At night feeding, Hera met babies face to face. Some sniffing and a "Are you joking?!" look when ram tried to nurse. She immediately hopped out of range and went to lay out in yard.

Hera is still EXTREMELY standoffish with minor pets allowed after dinner. I think I lots some points with the vet visit. :plbb

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anatolians are not like other LGDs. They often take a while to decide on people. They make up their own minds whether you deserve their love and attention. Some Anatolians are just naturally reserved, while others are more outgoing. Hera at age 7 is still deciding on your place in HER pack. At this point, allowing some pats and love is a good thing.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I imagine Hera is still feeling a bit displaced... but she is doing her job taking care of your flock... and I like what @Ridgetop said... so you are on the good side of it all... it has to be hard for her to accept the change of "humans" in her life... pet dogs grieve, so she is trying to take care of what she understands... So glad that you got her and she is hopefully will become more accepting and appreciative of you as part of her pack....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fortunately my Anatolians love lots of attention. Sentry doesn’t like hugs too much, but loves his chest and throat scratched.

Sheba loves hugs and all forms of attention. I sat in a chair this evening and she halfway plopped herself in my lap. She would be a lap baby if she could.

Buford loves lots of petting and hugs. Tummy rubs, lots of scratches.

Carson also loves tons of attention. He’s very affectionate.