Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
7. If you are yelling at the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember...many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for that vehicle.

Last Saturay, when we were going home after farmers market, we were on a farm market road. The speed limit was 55 mph. There was large flatbed truck in front of us, hauling about 8 big round bales. He was going 40 mph. When I came up behind him, I waited until there was a passing zone (broken yellow line), and started passing him. Just as I did that, he started crossing over the center line. :ep I was driving half on the shoulder, honking my horn. He pulled back into his lane. I sped up, to get by him fast, and he started crossing the center lane again. So, I just leaned on my horn, and kept driving. :duc

It turned out to be a kid (maybe 19?). He leaned his whole upper body out the truck window, to see why I was honking, and looking puzzled. It appeared that he didn’t even realize he was doing anything wrong. (HUH???). :th

As I put distance between him and us, I looked in my rearview mirror. He was continuing to straddle the center line, until I went around a curve and could no longer see him. It appears he thought it was okay to drive his big truck down the middle of the road (which happens to accomodates big 53’ tractor/trailer rigs just fine in the proper lane). Who taught him to drive? He must have been one of those who learned to drive on a John Deere! :hu

Last edited:

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Last Saturay, when we were going home after farmers market, we were on a farm market road. The speed limit was 55 mph. There was large flatbed truck in front of us, hauling about 8 big round bales. He was going 40 mph. When I came up behind him, I waited until there was a passing zone (broken yellow line), and started passing him. Just as I did that, he started crossing over the center line. :ep I was driving half on the shoulder, honking my horn. He pulled back into his lane. I sped up, to get by him fast, and he started crossing the center lane again. So, I just leaned on my horn, and kept driving. :duc

It turned out to be a kid (maybe 19?). He leaned his whole upper body out the truck window, to see why I was honking, and looking puzzled. It appeared that he didn’t even realize he was doing anything wrong. (HUH???). :th

As I put distance between him and us, I looked in my rearview mirror. He was continuing to straddle the center line, until I went around a curve and could no longer see him. It appears he thought it was okay to drive his big truck down the middle of the road (which happens to accomodates big 53’ tractor/trailer rigs just fine in the proper lane). Who taught him to drive? He must have been one of those who learned to drive on a John Deere! :hu

Yikes!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably thought you were honking to tell him something was wrong with his load or truck. LOL

Wish I could copy some of these laughing out loud postings. I will just to have sit DH down and make him read the rules of moving to Texas.

Best bumper sticker I ever saw was in Texas "American by birth, Texan by the grace of God"!

Although I do like "Didn't work my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables"

Or "Eat lamb - 100,000 coyotes can't be wrong"

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score

That's not uncommon at all around here on FM roads, or to see a herd of cattle being driven down the middle of the road. Pretty much always been that way too.
I don't know how it is in other states, but the likelihood of him getting a ticket for that, anywhere in Texas is very very low as long as the vehicle has Texas Farm Plates on it and as long as he stays on the FM or Ranch roads..

(I learned to drive on a 1952 8N Ford tractor and a 1958 Case 500B.)

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
An atheist was seated next to a dusty old cowboy on an airplane and he turned to him and said, “Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”

The old cowboy, who had just started to read his book, replied to the total stranger, “What would you want to talk about?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” said the atheist. “How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?” as he smiled smugly.

“Okay,” he said. “Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff – grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?”

The atheist, visibly surprised by the old cowboy's intelligence, thinks about it and says, “Hmmm, I have no idea.”

To which the cowboy replies, “Do you really feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don’t know crap?”

Latest posts