Herniated boar?! Something big and unwelcome in the scrotum.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I flushed him out with probably half a gallon of warm water today. The pus is ENDLESS! And the stench is stomach turning.
No fresh blood though, aside from the initial minor bleeding on the incision. He seems to enjoy the flushing.

I don't know how I could possible vet wrap him. He's a giant... brick. Kunekune means Roundround for a reason, lol! He's a walking sausage with a snout on one end. We made the incision strategically at the lowest point of the mass, and off to the side, hoping poop wouldn't get in it. But he's a filthy slob and poops wherever he's standing, unlike the girls that use their allocated pooping areas. That includes pooping where he lays, pooping on other pigs, pooping up against walls and smearing it all over himself... His manure is not runny or sloppy, doesn't do too much "sticking", but it's the environmental contamination that we worry most about.

I use a slightly saline antiseptic tea made from usnea and holy basil. Taboo for a lot of folks, but I use usnea anywhere I need antibiotics these days and it hasn't failed me yet. I had a cat with a ripped open eyelid and an eye full of blood this summer, gave her daily flushes of this tea and she healed with no infection, no scar, and no loss of vision that we can detect. Just one example. I can't praise usnea enough and it grows prolifically here.

Anyway. I worry that taping the incision might either prevent it from draining and/or encourage it to close. These wounds need to stay open and heal from the inside out- especially if he has a foriegn body in there that caused this! If we isolated him from the other pigs, anything we put on him 'might' stay put, but he itches it butt on EVERYTHING so I have my doubts. If he stays in with the girls they'll never leave it alone if we tape something to him.

Packing it with antiseptic-soaked cotton is still the best thing I can think of but I'm still afraid to do it. Never have I dealt with such a large cavity. I am not embellishing about the size of this abscess. It was at least as big as a large grapefruit, it was massive and completely bloated with pus. He must feel so much better with it deflated...
What if instead of cotton...you pack it with gauze rolls...that way, you could tie them together and just pull when you need to clean...the whole strand would come out. They are more expensive than cotton but much cheaper than a vet bill....it’s probably what I would try once....it might not soak up the liquid as well, but wouldn’t get lost, so you’d just need to pack it tight ??