Hi ya’ll! New here. I wanted to

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Duh! I thought you are supposed to get animals, take them home, then......Uhhhhh.….:idunno Scratch your head, pat your tummy, chew bubble gum, turn around 10 times, spit on a rock and wonder what the HECK you're going to do now? :lol:

Welcome to the forum @Kalimak you don't have to have animals to join. In fact, I was a member here for 5 YEARS before we got sheep. This will give you time to get to know folks, read and study the forums and ask questions. :thumbsup

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Duh! I thought you are supposed to get animals, take them home, then......Uhhhhh.….:idunno Scratch your head, pat your tummy, chew bubble gum, turn around 10 times, spit on a rock and wonder what the HECK you're going to do now? :lol:

Welcome to the forum @Kalimak you don't have to have animals to join. In fact, I was a member here for 5 YEARS before we got sheep. This will give you time to get to know folks, read and study the forums and ask questions. :thumbsup

And then ask the age old question, " What the h&ll was I thinking?"

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Hahaha right?! Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I really want to make sure I'm well rounded on the subject in order to prepare well.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah, that's what I thought, I always like doing my research before hand, and be ultimately prepared. I grew up around livestock, but I was too young to know what it took to care for them and maintain them, but I have the basics. I need to learn much more still. And for the fencing, I read earlier here that a field fence is a good choice, I'm thinking 6 foot fence would hopefully keep happy goats in.
I don't think you need anywhere near a 6' fence for goats, unless yours have wings. There are lots here with goats and I think 4' is pretty standard. Those extra 2 feet will cost you a bundle. But check around, I don't have goats.

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think you need anywhere near a 6' fence for goats, unless yours have wings. There are lots here with goats and I think 4' is pretty standard. Those extra 2 feet will cost you a bundle. But check around, I don't have goats.

Well, that’s a relief, then. You’re right, the 4’ is more common as I’m seeing. I just like to be extra cautious I guess, because I’m not planning on having the fence electrocuted. Everyone I’ve seen with goats keeps reminding me how they are escape artists, makes me worry.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might still want to consider some electric fence. From what I read goats can put a lot of pressure on a fence and a strand of electric at the right height keeps them off it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t have enough land for
How much is 'not enough'?
If the parcel is relatively small, fence the perimeter GOOD, then build whatever other infrastructure you want or need for the livestock. Animal acquisition is next, then improvements such as cross fencing.
After all that, you can build your people house.
IMG_0560.JPG

Latest posts