Hi ya’ll! New here. I wanted to

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You might still want to consider some electric fence. From what I read goats can put a lot of pressure on a fence and a strand of electric at the right height keeps them off it.

That sounds like a good idea.

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How much is 'not enough'?
If the parcel is relatively small, fence the perimeter GOOD, then build whatever other infrastructure you want or need for the livestock. Animal acquisition is next, then improvements such as cross fencing.
After all that, you can build your people house.
View attachment 58245

Thanks for the advice. I have an acre and a half to work with.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, house on 1/20 acre and everything else for the animals and yard! And before you :lol: too hard, my last house was 1,500 sq ft on just under 1/10 acre - 44'x100'. Design for efficiency and you don't need lot of sq ft.

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK, house on 1/20 acre and everything else for the animals and yard! And before you :lol: too hard, my last house was 1,500 sq ft on just under 1/10 acre - 44'x100'. Design for efficiency and you don't need lot of sq ft.

Lol I could care less about my space, the more room for the animals, the better. We’re on the same page.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
While you live with the animals!
Humans can live anywhere. Wife & I lived in a 20X25 "house" while getting the animal fencing and facilities ready and you better be careful where ya walked on the floor. Houses are way over rated..you can never see more than the one wall you happen to be looking at at any given time anyway.
(I added the porch after we moved out of it)
DSC00086.JPG

A wood burning stove was all the heat it had and one window unit in the only bedroom. 'Living room' was 8'x18'. (the travel trailer wasn't there at the time)
DSC00087.JPG

The building is now abandoned..

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Humans can live anywhere. Wife & I lived in a 20X25 "house" while getting the animal fencing and facilities ready and you better be careful where ya walked on the floor. Houses are way over rated..you can never see more than the one wall you happen to be looking at at any given time anyway.
(I added the porch after we moved out of it)
View attachment 58252

A wood burning stove was all the heat it had and one window unit in the only bedroom. 'Living room' was 8'x18'. (the travel trailer wasn't there at the time)
View attachment 58253

The building is now abandoned..

Awe man..I couldn’t agree more with your concept! You did a great job.

Kalimak

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Remember how we were “joking” about getting the goats first, then figure it out? Well umm..I was in the process in building and fencing, but I found what I needed, close to me. So I got 2 sweet babies. And I’m figuring it out lol

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
BYH Welcome:

Hello and Welcome to BackYardHerds from western Wisconsin. We are so happy that you have joined us. Please make yourself at home. Do all the browsing your heart desires. Feel free to ask questions. There truly are no stupid questions. Don’t be ashamed or too proud to ask a hundred questions. There are so many people in here with different levels of experience. There is bound to be someone in here with the answer to at least one or two of your questions. Everyone in here is so warm, friendly, and helpful. Please don’t be shy. When you have a question please include as much information as possible, even photos. We love to share photos in here. From projects we are working on, the animals we keep, to the food we eat. Yup, there are some propane amazing cooks in here that love to share their masterpieces.

Please take time to fill out the parts on your profile you are comfortable sharing, if you haven’t already. HINT: Location, at least the state you live in is very helpful. We have members from around the globe. Climate and availability varies greatly depending on your location. Locations that are on a persons profile make it easier for other members to pass along helpful and pertinent information relate your situation. I’d also like to point out there are three sister sites to this site which you may find interesting or helpful. Those are in the right hand margin of your screen. You can find your personal profile information in the upper right hand corner. There will be a drop down box with your personal details listed.

I’d like to also invite you to checkout other people’s journals. Some are quite long, hundreds of pages long. Dont let that detour you from checking it out. They are some of the best ones in here. Read a few pages at a time. You will likely find things in them to make you laugh when you need a good laugh. They are jam packed with personal triumphs and tribulations. Many of the journals go off in interesting tangents and discussions with other members. You will be surprised at how much you can relate to them. Some of the journals will suck you in and hold you hostage until you read the very last post in it. Again, Welcome. We are happy to have you join us.