High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Virginia.
Love your horses! Do you have a shelter for them? Didn't see that in this thread.

We have to have inspections for any heating units installed here, especially wood burning! It's really a safety issue, not a penalty.
The brick looks like it's coming along well. I took out the wood burner & installed a propane -- just not going to haul wood anymore for myself -- do help daughter get hers stocked in for her fireplace sometime. She cuts and we load into front end loader of my tractor, I drive & dump. LOL She has a splitter.

Hope you get your outside work done before the snow sets in.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it gets harder to get out of bed in the cold but sadly i gotta get up and head to work by 5am so it is what it is. It warmed back up quick and was 75 when I got home that day but those low temps in the morning are a great reminder that winter is coming. I’ll take 18 while I can a few years ago we went over a month without seeing double digits unless it was at night but that’s because it was -16. One thing about weather in Utah if you don’t like it give it a few minutes it’ll probably change

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
After spending most of my life along the Gulf coast, we moved 3 years ago to north east Texas. Not a lot of climate difference, but it is a little colder here. It's not as humid, so it doesn't feel as cold, we sure like it here. I don't think I would want to live where the snow doesn't go away after 3 days. LOL

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So we found out today that Dixie can jump a 6 foot dog run. I was out feeding horses when suddenly Dixie’s by my side and I can hear Kya carrying on because she can’t jump out like her pup can. This poses a serious problem as my neighbor has all of her really old sheep (I’m talking 11+ year old sheep that she’s still breeding) at her home to lamb in a month or two (really early) and has made it clear that she doesn’t want my dogs anywhere near her sheep. Another neighbor recently lost 6 sheep and had another 18 tore up by a pair of pit bulls so everyone is a little on edge about dogs and sheep. So I’ve rigged up a leg of hot wire from my horse corral to go just a couple inches over the top of the run. While it will no doubt lead to a shocking discovery for my pup, I’d rather see her shocked then shot

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Great Pyrenees Trip, can jump out and has. But for weeks afterward I toured him around the fence, stopping between each T-post, shaking the fence and fussing at him. He hung his head, squinted his eyes, grinned, like he does when he's in trouble. He hasn't jumped out since. He jumps interior fences and I'm OK with that.