High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use a paste of powdered turmeric and coconut oil for inflammation. I have arthritis in my left knee that flares up and is painful. The turmeric is anti-inflammatory, in 30 minutes, I can feel the pain subsiding. It tastes awful, don't try to dissolve it in liquid, that just makes it worse. Have a drink to chase it down. I take a teaspoon full of the paste.

Baymule, just curious, is the coconut oil needed? Or is it just a way to take the powder easily? The reason I ask is, the local health food store carries it in capsules.

jhoeck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all,
After writing out my rather lengthy introduction I thought it'd be a good idea to write a little about our little slice of heaven. The reason I call it the Old California Trail is that our property is found right along the old Southern Route of the California trail, also know as the Mormon Trail. We moved here in 2015 after i received a job offer to manage a commercial sow farm. Not exactly what I planned on doing with my degree but I had a job offer as a ranch manager in Idaho fall through and the other job offers I'd received were too far away from my step-sons dad. So we moved down here and managed to find a home with room for my horses. Of course while it did have room for my horses and even a decent little tack shed it was not fenced in any way and having spent most of my limited money (recently graduated college student with 2 kids, one recently born) on the home I was unable to put up any real fencing beyond the Hotwire I'd brought with me. But we make do and as time materials and funds have become available I have attempted to provide better fencing options.
We started with my two horses, Jack and Bro. Brother Larsen (Brolo) is an 11 year old paint/Arab
View attachment 38838

Jack is a 10 year old paint I picked up while working for an outfit in southwest Colorado
View attachment 38851
Shortly after moving here I finally got my farm dog I always wanted, Kya. She's half Aussie 1/4 heeler and 1/4 border collie. I just wanted a pal for when I was riding or moving cows, but she taught me a good stock dog is more than that. I feed a group of corriente cattle during the summer and they had gotten loose. One started running for the road and before I could even try doing anything this little dark streak blew by, got into that cows face and brought it back to me. So I got interested in training stock dogs. I love Kya so much I bred her to a friends working border collie (a cow herding workaholic) and got Dixie back in march.
View attachment 38852
Love everything about this! Sounds like it's all fallen into place for you out there! And beautiful dogs : )

We are hoping to find more land and get sheep in Montana in a year or so
With another dog, however...Our full border collie is scared of even our chickens : I
She prefers to fetch instead

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule, just curious, is the coconut oil needed? Or is it just a way to take the powder easily? The reason I ask is, the local health food store carries it in capsules.

yes you can take capsules, but I can buy a 1 pound bag for $8. I found making a paste with the coconut oil is the easiest way to take it.

@Bruce, packing wormer in bread :drool works great for the pigs, but turmeric paste in bread :sick sounds like a good way to choke to death. :gig

Latest posts