Higher hay prices ?????

PureSnowChic

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow you guys are lucky. A small square of STRAW costs $12.50 here and hay is about $16.00!!! :(

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
A small conventional sq bale of Coastal Bermuda last year was $5 tops. Today--$10-12 everywhere around--providing you can find any at all. Large round bales last year around $50 ea. This year over $100/bale and scarce.
On any given day, I see 5-10 18 wheelers loaded with round bales coming from Ark and La.
I read a c/l ad not long ago where a Texas ranher had a barn full of his own hay for his cattle, and decided it was worth more on the open market so he put it all up for sale and bought rice straw out of La to feed his own cattle, still making a pretty good profit I imagine.

It's almost cost effective to just feed cubed commercial feed instead of buying hay.
My real worry, is that tho droughts come and go, prices rarely ever return all the way back to "normal".

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here in southern Maine, we have been paying between $35.00 and $75.00 for a round bale of second cut. The $35.00 bale is small 4ft round and garbage hay. The $75.00 is a 6ft round bail and very nice quality. You can find it at all prices in between. We have no pasture, so we have to purchase hay. We have purchased from several different sources in the past 7 months to try to find decent quality for a fair price. So far, it is the $75.00 bail that is the winner. :rolleyes: Currently it last us about 3 weeks.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here a big bale of Alfalfa is $300.00. A small square bale of Alfalfa is $16.00.

Texas is in even worse shape, no hay to be found unless it's trucked in.

Most ranchers are selling off their livestock in Texas.

I'm in East Central Oklahoma or "Green Country" and we have had some rain about 2-3 weeks apart. Just enough to keep us green. We are about 10 in. below normal.

DonnaBelle

4bLonghorns

Just born
Reaction score
here in Texas, we're having the worst drought on record...square bales are a bargain at $10.50 and round bales are going for $110 to $120 per bale. Last year they were $60 per round bale and $6 per square. More drought predicted

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
4bLonghorns said:
here in Texas, we're having the worst drought on record...square bales are a bargain at $10.50 and round bales are going for $110 to $120 per bale. Last year they were $60 per round bale and $6 per square. More drought predicted
Yep, I'd agree with that, but in Washington where it rains endlessly, a square is 18.00. Although they weigh 4 times as much as a square here in TX. The squares are just LOUSY here.

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Earlier this year a regular size bale of coastal hay was going for about $7.50 & a bale that was a little larger was $8.50. Now, they dont even ask which size I want--I get the regular size and it's up to $8.75! Something else I just noticed is that it is not packed as tightly as before...seems like I'm getting less hay for more money!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
TigerLilly said:
Earlier this year a regular size bale of coastal hay was going for about $7.50 & a bale that was a little larger was $8.50. Now, they dont even ask which size I want--I get the regular size and it's up to $8.75! Something else I just noticed is that it is not packed as tightly as before...seems like I'm getting less hay for more money!
You probably are. Either i turned into Superman in the last couple of months, or a sq bale don't weigh nearly what it used to in some instances....
I believe some hay producers have figured out how to "stretch" their fields a bit.
Who knew dead grass could be worth so much?
(we all did--we just hoped it would never come to this)

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I know lots of people in Iowa that have made even small parts of their property into hay to sell in the south. The price's are ridiculous.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have been paying $5 for a small square bale of an orchard/timothy grass mix(50-55lbs) and 45 for a round bale for the past 3 years. We had a good hay crop this year so luckily it hasn't gone up. I thought it might go down, but with all the other expenses farmers have and fuel prices I guess I should be happy it has stayed the same. Virginia

I did notice, since there was an abundance of hay in our area the bales were bigger this year, I didn't way the last load we got in, but I am pretty sure they were near 65 or 70lb small bales. So far the one I cut open and used had 20 slabs/flakes in it. It was quit a job getting them into the barn and stacking them.