Higher hay prices ?????

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
Here a big bale of Alfalfa is $300.00. A small square bale of Alfalfa is $16.00.

Texas is in even worse shape, no hay to be found unless it's trucked in.

Most ranchers are selling off their livestock in Texas.

I'm in East Central Oklahoma or "Green Country" and we have had some rain about 2-3 weeks apart. Just enough to keep us green. We are about 10 in. below normal.

DonnaBelle
I am sorry, and it doesn't sound like it is expected to get any better over the winter months for you all. I have been thinking of the south often and praying for a weather shift and rain for all of you.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I too wish rain for the southern drought region.

mikecoen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is an interesting year for hay in Colorado. We had the rare 4th cutting due to a month more of mild weather. Small bales are disappearing at anything less than 7 dollars a bale and good stuff is over 10 for 60 pound bales. I got some bottom bales and rained on stuff that is fine for my cows and paid an average of only $2 per 60 pound bale. Some hay will show up on Craig's list for $6 and will be gone before you get a callback. I bought 15% calf creep in small pellets so I can enrich the silage I made from my corn patches. It looks like it will work well with the hay to get me to April. First time I ever made silage though and I'm not sure I did the best, maybe started grinding it a little late and then the last of it was too dry 2 weeks later.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have been getting calls from my horse friends in desperate need of hay, wanting me to sell them some. I have just enough stock piled to feed my own animals and get me by until first cutting around June 1st. I can't spare any for them. :( Small bales are selling for $12 a bale here right now and they are usually at $6. :ep

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
mikecoen said:
This is an interesting year for hay in Colorado. We had the rare 4th cutting due to a month more of mild weather. Small bales are disappearing at anything less than 7 dollars a bale and good stuff is over 10 for 60 pound bales. I got some bottom bales and rained on stuff that is fine for my cows and paid an average of only $2 per 60 pound bale. Some hay will show up on Craig's list for $6 and will be gone before you get a callback. I bought 15% calf creep in small pellets so I can enrich the silage I made from my corn patches. It looks like it will work well with the hay to get me to April. First time I ever made silage though and I'm not sure I did the best, maybe started grinding it a little late and then the last of it was too dry 2 weeks later.
"interesting" is a unique way of putting it Mike. Just downright strange in my book. I finally got some hay--square baled coastal and paid $11 each for them and they aren't all that good, but my ryegrass finally got plenty of rain and I'm feeding suplement and cubes so I'll get thru this winter ok. We've had lots of rain, and some really mild temps the last 5 weeks. The cows aren't getting a whole lot of nutrients from the rye, but they're fat and a whole lot better looking than some of my neighbors' stock and I didn't have to sell any off. I am going to get rid of some of the Charlais tho and go ahead and make a full switch to Beefmaster with an eye on selling showcalves..

fair weather chicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
just two weeks ago saw 9.00 a bale on cl. round bales of about 600 lbs. for 75.00 but we have had rain and things are greening up so we'll get a second cutting and maybe a third. that should bring some prices down. if it is in short supply fine, but having cut hay we always figured our costs, fuel, string ,wear and tear, labor and added 10 per cent. always were at 2.00 to 2.75 and we made money.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My hay guy charges $30 for a 4x4 timothy/grass mix round bale, which weighs about 400 lbs. He has other types of hay as well and some go for $40. But he said I could have any round bale for $25 :D (though I feel bad and pay him the extra $5 anyway). Small square bales on the other hand are $5 each and weigh 35-40 lbs, so it is soo much more economical to get round bales. I have a small flock (4 mature sheep and 2 lambs), but any bit of money saved is still good. A 4x4 round bale lasts me 6 weeks or so and I keep it in my garage so it stays green and nutritious and doesn't get sun bleached or wasted by the sheep.

WhiteMountainsRanch - where do you buy your hay?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made a recreational trip down to the coast yesterday--about 130 miles. Newly cut and/or baled hay everywhere. Lookin good here in E. Texas this year.

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm not sure if we'll get a second cutting on our main field but on the old hay field we did get a second cutting and now the Cows are on it. Hay prices are high though.