Hind Legs Weak

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For magnesium and calcium, put out free choice Dolomite lime. You can find it in the garden center of any big box store, usually labeled garden lime. Look closely on the bag for the word Dolomite. Plus keep it available all the time for pregnant and lactating ewes. Grass tetany has an easy solution, it’s Dolomite lime.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a conversation with a veterinarian last week. I explained to her that when it comes to sheep and goats, we are on our own. Practically nobody treats or knows anything about them and we have to be our own veterinarian. Not to mention that if you keep calling the vet, incurring a $500 bill on a $300 sheep, things are going south in a hurry. I told her about BYH and how we post our problems and others post treatment and solutions. We share our success and failures, that way we all learn. We are our own vet clinic.

AronstafFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We lime a couple tons to the acre when we establish. Magnesium levels are excellent everywhere but that one paddock, and they only are in a paddock 1-2 days. We rotate the sheep partly to move minerals around!

I'll be honest, in the era of the internet this is probably the most cost-effective method we have. I'm working on stocking the basics (I find new basics a few times a year) and then when someone in my local circle has issues we can often research and find a few cheap likely solutions. We both learn. Often we both celebrate! Sometimes we both experience loss. It's real life.

We raise animals because it provides perspective to life. Its not economically wise, but its totally worth it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's true...we MUST have some fundamental care knowledge! Sheep and goats are not like those $10K sport horses for return. Not that they are less valuable or loved, just economically speaking the decisions are tighter. As with a chicken....😩🤷

I feel all who own these animals acknowledge the limitations as we strive to do right by them. My dairy goats are treasures for their production and contributions to me and my farm. But couldn't spend thousands on one. I've sure spent untold hours of loving care on a sick one...most made it....some didn't.

AronstafFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is fascinating. Makes all the pieces come together. This is after time spent in the one paddock that is brushy.

Wow. And we removed dog ticks from both of them. There must be a paralytic strain around here. I'm going to see about changing the heading. This makes far more sense than anything else.

Latest posts