Hive inspection and box reversal

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The foundation(s) are made to fit the specific sized frames. You can't really put medium foundation in deep frames as it will be too short. Save the medium frames as they can still be used in the medium box as a honey super... Since you are so far north and have a short season, you may have to feed your bees throughout the summer of the first year. It's not a big deal, it's just to make sure they build a strong hive that can last through next winter. When I started, I was told right up front; don't expect to get any honey in year one.

The bees will probably need all they make to get established and make it through the winter. As it turned out I was able to get 1 medium super almost filled; 26 pounds worth, and I lost that hive in January, not from lack of honey/stores, but most likely due to vectored diseases from varroa mites. I treated for varroa, but I believe it was too late in the season when I did so and the damage was already done. When the bees realize they are diseased, they leave the hive and don't return (they don't want to spread the sickness), so you end up with a virtually empty hive... no or very few dead bees. If you find frames with lots of bees dead with their heads buried in the comb, they most likely starved.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree on getting some deep frames to go in the deep hive body. Using the wrong frames in the box can cause quite a mess to clean up later.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
i know they are different sizes...but i figured if i put it in the bottom of the deep frame they would just fill in the top but i will stick some of the deep frames in from the other deep and put he super frames in the super box to be used later.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Trust us when we say you do NOT want the bees deciding where to build their comb... It's almost a guarantee it will be all over the place and make a mess inside the hive body that will make working the hive difficult at best and near impossible at worst. Bees virtually always work from the top down building comb and it would be very difficult for you to properly anchor the shorter medium foundation to the top of a deep frame... If it slips even the slightest, you'll have burr comb from hell and frames glued together with cross comb, etc. It's just asking for tremendous problems and issues down the road. Just a recommendation/suggestion...

If you want comb honey there have been bee keepers that cut the foundation in 1/2 or 2/3 and place it centered in the frame left to right so there is an open area either side for the bees to build comb, but they have the vertical guide of that center foundation strip to guide them.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Trust us when we say you do NOT want the bees deciding where to build their comb... It's almost a guarantee it will be all over the place and make a mess inside the hive body that will make working the hive difficult at best and near impossible at worst. Bees virtually always work from the top down building comb and it would be very difficult for you to properly anchor the shorter medium foundation to the top of a deep frame... If it slips even the slightest, you'll have burr comb from hell and frames glued together with cross comb, etc. It's just asking for tremendous problems and issues down the road. Just a recommendation/suggestion...

If you want comb honey there have been bee keepers that cut the foundation in 1/2 or 2/3 and place it centered in the frame left to right so there is an open area either side for the bees to build comb, but they have the vertical guide of that center foundation strip to guide them.

Agree completely. Remember, you are going to have to get into this hive often. It needs to be easy and the least intrusive to the bees. If the comb is all glued together, you cannot pull the frames out to inspect without a lot of destruction. This will also equal irritated bees.

And on the foundationless, some beekeepers checkerboard the foundationless with foundation to keep the bees drawing comb straight.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some people must just have really well trained bees because i see people with double supers on their hives all foundationless cutting comb honey...no foundaton or wires or wax insert or anything. Lucky buggers. i know they can build all kinds of messed up ways i have seen pictures and some videos lol...it is a mess.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Man... I'd sure like to get some bees from the former beekeeps you mentioned. Even making sure my frames were tight together, they STILL managed to build cylindrical comb & cross comb between them, which I had to cut out, spilling honey all over the inside of the hive... And yeah, I've seen some bad ones as well and thankfully mine weren't to that level, but still a PITA when you're trying to get in, check, and get back out. Sure makes the bees angry when you start ripping out comb and destroying honey...

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a guy on youtube named something like the lazy bee keep or lazy man bee keeping something like that...he is good and funny to watch. Just search for "cutting comb honey" on youtube and you should find his in there and a lot of perfect combs to drool over.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Lazy bee man...yup. watched a bunch of his videos. Keep in mind he has THOUSANDS of hives... why would he share pics of the bad ones?

Latest posts