Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fencing is expensive. We fenced a pasture for the horses first and the back yard for Paris. This had to be done before we moved. Then we really dug in. We just had to do a little at a time, gradually building pastures. You will get it done, time and money.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fencing is expensive. We fenced a pasture for the horses first and the back yard for Paris. This had to be done before we moved. Then we really dug in. We just had to do a little at a time, gradually building pastures. You will get it done, time and money.

Hill country here, so lots of ups and downs, dips and gaps to span, as well as a lot of fence line to cut free of brush, briers, etc. Will take some time, but timbering sure helps!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you going to use the sheep and goat wire (4" holes)? We don't have the ups and downs that you do, pretty light grade, but we sure had to cut out lots of trees, brush and briars. It's slow going, but what an accomplishment when you put up a run of wire! Take lots of pictures, what about starting a fencing thread? It sure makes me feel good when I go back and read my fencing thread, I can see where we started and the work we put in along the way.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you going to use the sheep and goat wire (4" holes)? We don't have the ups and downs that you do, pretty light grade, but we sure had to cut out lots of trees, brush and briars. It's slow going, but what an accomplishment when you put up a run of wire! Take lots of pictures, what about starting a fencing thread? It sure makes me feel good when I go back and read my fencing thread, I can see where we started and the work we put in along the way.

Doing high tensile, 3 strands, so the gaps and dips have to be secured so the posts won't be pulled out of the ground under all that tension.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Been following along here and there but haven’t waded into all the amazing videos and articles yet. I’d love to jump into this conversation if ya’ll don’t mind! :)

We’ve been on our place for going on 3 years. Prior to that, I had a little suburban yard on which I planted for wildlife habitat, a small collection of fruit trees, some ornamentals, and garden beds— All organically managed and pretty successful, all things considered. Our current place is 20 acres total, about 15 in pasture, 4 of woodlot, and the 1 acre yard, on which we also have a small orchard and garden. The garden is mostly a nicely fenced weed bed right now, since the animals and children seem to take up all my time, and I rarely get around to tending the garden! On the pasture and woods, we currently have 4 head of cattle, 9 boer goats, and 2 horses. We also have a single beehive, and we have guineas who help with breaking up manure & pest management. Occasionally, we let our two Kunekune hogs into the pasture. Our turkeys and chickens occasionally venture into the pasture, but they mostly hang out in the yard. We have one mobile chicken coop that gets moved around the orchard for fertilizer & pest control. The big stationary chicken coop is situated near the barn to encourage the birds to visit the barnyard and pick through manure dropped there. Generally speaking, it all works pretty well, and I love having our own little ecosystem here offsetting the need for synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and such! We are not fully organic, as we judiciously use chemical dewormers and antibiotics/meds on the animals when needed, but we don’t spray at all, nor have we used synthetic fertilizers.

The folks here before us also managed the place holistically, which was a major factor in our choosing to buy this farm. They also installed a pasture irrigation system and left some reels of poly wire and such to get us going with a rotational grazing system. We were pretty much able to pick up right where they left off, and we’re slowly incorporating new animals/infrastructure/methods that work for us. 😍

I know I’m not the only Texan on this thread- One question I have for you all is, what do you do about shade when you’re rotating your animals in the heat of the summer? I struggle with this! Most of our pasture is pretty open. We have a few scattered trees here and there and no permanent structures other than the barn. With only 20 acres & the limited number of animals we have, we really need to make each paddock quite small in order to get the full benefit of MIRG, but without shade throughout the pasture, I can‘t quite figure out how to do this. I usually end up just advancing the front wire a bit every couple days but not blocking access to the shade in the paddocks behind the animals so that they can retreat there when it gets so hot. As a result, they do get fresh grass, but I worry that the plants in the “shady” paddocks will get overgrazed since they have continuous access to those for a week or longer, until we reach the next area of shade. Thoughts?

My second concern is irrigation. We have a very nice (albeit labor-intensive) system of moveable sprinklers throughout the pasture. I *could* water every day of the week if I had the druthers to do it. However, I want to balance the ability to water with holding off on watering in order to allow more drought-tolerant grasses to become fully established. I‘m concerned that if I water constantly, I’ll swing the pendulum in favor of the more fragile, thirsty plants out there. Any ideas how to balance this in order to keep the desired grasses growing without favoring the needier species?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been following along here and there but haven’t waded into all the amazing videos and articles yet. I’d love to jump into this conversation if ya’ll don’t mind! :)

We’ve been on our place for going on 3 years. Prior to that, I had a little suburban yard on which I planted for wildlife habitat, a small collection of fruit trees, some ornamentals, and garden beds— All organically managed and pretty successful, all things considered. Our current place is 20 acres total, about 15 in pasture, 4 of woodlot, and the 1 acre yard, on which we also have a small orchard and garden. The garden is mostly a nicely fenced weed bed right now, since the animals and children seem to take up all my time, and I rarely get around to tending the garden! On the pasture and woods, we currently have 4 head of cattle, 9 boer goats, and 2 horses. We also have a single beehive, and we have guineas who help with breaking up manure & pest management. Occasionally, we let our two Kunekune hogs into the pasture. Our turkeys and chickens occasionally venture into the pasture, but they mostly hang out in the yard. We have one mobile chicken coop that gets moved around the orchard for fertilizer & pest control. The big stationary chicken coop is situated near the barn to encourage the birds to visit the barnyard and pick through manure dropped there. Generally speaking, it all works pretty well, and I love having our own little ecosystem here offsetting the need for synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and such! We are not fully organic, as we judiciously use chemical dewormers and antibiotics/meds on the animals when needed, but we don’t spray at all, nor have we used synthetic fertilizers.

The folks here before us also managed the place holistically, which was a major factor in our choosing to buy this farm. They also installed a pasture irrigation system and left some reels of poly wire and such to get us going with a rotational grazing system. We were pretty much able to pick up right where they left off, and we’re slowly incorporating new animals/infrastructure/methods that work for us. 😍

I know I’m not the only Texan on this thread- One question I have for you all is, what do you do about shade when you’re rotating your animals in the heat of the summer? I struggle with this! Most of our pasture is pretty open. We have a few scattered trees here and there and no permanent structures other than the barn. With only 20 acres & the limited number of animals we have, we really need to make each paddock quite small in order to get the full benefit of MIRG, but without shade throughout the pasture, I can‘t quite figure out how to do this. I usually end up just advancing the front wire a bit every couple days but not blocking access to the shade in the paddocks behind the animals so that they can retreat there when it gets so hot. As a result, they do get fresh grass, but I worry that the plants in the “shady” paddocks will get overgrazed since they have continuous access to those for a week or longer, until we reach the next area of shade. Thoughts?

My second concern is irrigation. We have a very nice (albeit labor-intensive) system of moveable sprinklers throughout the pasture. I *could* water every day of the week if I had the druthers to do it. However, I want to balance the ability to water with holding off on watering in order to allow more drought-tolerant grasses to become fully established. I‘m concerned that if I water constantly, I’ll swing the pendulum in favor of the more fragile, thirsty plants out there. Any ideas how to balance this in order to keep the desired grasses growing without favoring the needier species?

Since you need shade now but also down the road, you might look into things that grow well in your area that are fast growing shrubs and brush that can be utilized while something more long term can be created.

Here's a cool site you may be able to utilize for creating shade/silvopasture: https://centraltexastreecare.com/2010/05/12/how-agroforestry-works-for-everyone/

And a few more: https://matteroftrust.org/the-secrets-of-silvopasturing/

I think that most folks doing MIG are not much in favor of watering, as many are living in more brittle landscapes. They are depending on the trampling of the grasses to create thatch and build soil to help keep moisture on the land so it doesn't need watering during drought times. I'd read or watch info from Alan Savory on that, as he's doing MIG practices in Africa, where they go many months without much rain.

Here's another handy site I'm loving...some of these have the capacity to provide shade while also giving good feed value: https://www.wormx.info/browseplants

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@LMK 17 you can use cow panels bowed over and secured by T-posts, with a tarp over them. Put pallets on the sides to help keep the rain out, the slats will allow any breeze to blow through. 2 cow panels put together should make a nice shelter. You can spot them around, they are cheap and easy to put up.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Phase one of silvopasture has begun...timbering has started on the land. It's startling to see and I have to keep reminding myself what it will look like in the future....keep visualizing grass under trees, with a peaceful flock of colorful sheep grazing along.

Going to take a LONG time to clean up all the tree tops and mess, though. Will likely buy or borrow a chipper and cut up all I can into firewood, then chip the rest of the limbs. I'll also build some brush piles for the wildlife. Sure wish I had a market for ****ake mushrooms around here as I would do some mushroom planting on some of the wood from the tree tops.

I've tried to keep as many trees as possible along a tiny little spring/rivulet in the front of the land as it feeds our well when it goes underground. Later on I'll try to plant some willow, white mulberry and/or clumping bamboo in that area to keep that shaded and the soils anchored as much as possible. I'll likely dig small tanks along the course of it as well, so as to slow the water down when we have rains like we have been....I noticed quite a bit of surface erosion simply because no vegetation grows there. Doing MIG around that should help with the erosion.

And so it begins.....

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weee :weee :weee :weee

That is so exciting!! I am so happy for you, it will be work and take time, but you certainly are no stranger to that! Are you taking pictures??

Like a crazy woman. :D =D Both to document what it looks like before and after but also to document what it should return to if they do their jobs right, as far as the road and recovery of landing site goes.

Already having issues with communication....I've found out in my lifetime that men seem to have a special selective hearing loss when talking with women. I say one thing, they either don't hear it at all or they hear something completely different. Now, I know I don't mumble or stutter, so I've found it's best to get things in writing....and this guy started work here before we even hashed out and signed a contract! :thHad to cool his jets and get him to understand a contract was and is expected. Who doesn't get a contract nowadays???? He was supposed to come and bring the contract this afternoon but didn't show up, so despite him having all this high dollar equipment on the land, not another splinter will be cut here without that contract being discussed, developed and signed.

Seems like everything a person does nowadays requires such a struggle...why can't folks just do right? :idunno

Latest posts