Homeschooling

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I homeschool my two, ages 10 & 7. We also manage/live on a 20 acre farm with chickens, turkeys, goats, hogs, cattle, and horses, plus we have a big smattering of guinea fowl, dogs, cats, and a [poorly neglected, although they don't seem to mind] beehive. We're a military family living far (1500 miles) from all our relatives, and my husband works long hours and doesn't get home until at least 7 pm most nights. So it's almost always just the kids and me. I totally understand trying to juggle the homestead & school and not being able to get out much! My kiddos are involved in Trail Life and American Heritage Girls. They also both take piano and horse riding lessons. The past few years, they did spring soccer, but when they both indicated they wanted to take a break from that this year, I didn't argue. 🤣 We meet up with our homeschool friends as much as we can, but it is a struggle to get out and about and still have time for all our standing obligations.

I agree that language arts are a challenge! We have the Brave Writer curriculum. I do like it, but I also find it tedious at times. However, I honestly think they best thing I've ever done for my kids' writing was sign them up for pen pals. I definitely have noticed that they are far more interested in writing well if they actually have something to say and are confident the message is *worth* something. I've always tried to express to them that writing is a way to disseminate a message. It follows that if they want to say something but don't express themselves clearly, the message is lost, and so they try harder. My son struggles with writing, it's just really not his thing, although he does well enough. My daughter, who always has A LOT to say, relishes the chance to write to her friends and receive letters back. As we go, I point out ways for them to make their writing stronger. We also occasionally play grade-appropriate iPad apps to help strengthen usage & mechanics. We aren't required by the state to do any testing, so that really helps keep things relaxed.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
61C79550-F20B-435D-8BAE-3693F30C943A.jpeg

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well i did it i ordered master books curriculum today. I am going to have her do it and then we see if we reorder for next year or not. But atleast now i be able to use it and I need to add to it I will. But for now its done. I feel somewhat better i am done trying to make it i been so brain fried lately its not be going over well trying to make it and I don't want her missing anything.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I am Rebecca currently a mother of four and I homeschool our children currently my daughter who 6 (n march she be 7), my oldest son who is 4 and my younger son who will be two. mostly the older two get school the younger does some things with us but not much and the month old doesnt do any school lol. I am currently making our curriculium using some websites and either hand writing it or using the computer to make it. I currently am teaching English, math and some science, my husband teaches the history because one i hate history and can not make it fun for another and he loves all things history the crazy person. We have a small amount of farm animals planning on increasing that so lots of lie lessons there. I been debating about buy curriculums we had used one in the past (rod and staff) which was great except my daughter didnt care for it and made school hard however she is perfectly happy with doing the school work i make for her and my husband aproves of the level of difficultly that i make it. She very much like me and learns like i do in alot of ways so makes it easier to make her it for her. She been improving very quickly with it as well so i guess i am doing something right. i firgured i would make a thread to see how many of us home school and to also talk to other parents who do, we have several in our church that homeschool but one big difference is majority dont have a homestead and they are very active in outside the home activities and we cant afford alot of those right now so they are way busy and can rarely talk. so i going to bug yall lol. i figured we could discuss challanges and also share success and things that have helped us teach and other such things, any way hope to hear from yall soon.
Keep it up. I don't see anything wrong with that, as a matter of fact my nephews are into home school, And they are doing great.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
So joshua using egg cartons and marbles to do number recognition and counting. He made a robot with scissors and glue to help strengthen writing skills and hand muscles. He also practicing tracing, Lucy using school books today. They also are learning about living things and a frogs life cycle so they making frog eggs using coffee filters and paint.

Attachments

• 20200318_134955.jpg
    20200318_134955.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 20200318_131844.jpg
    20200318_131844.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 20200318_130906.jpg
    20200318_130906.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20200318_131856.jpg
    20200318_131856.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 238

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Homeschool is a blast they seem to enjoy it better. I forgot we also using letter magnets and dry erase board for spelling and letter recognition. I love those things. We also make paper squares and write letters on them for spelling and letter recognition. There are some many ever day thing you can use.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Homeschool is a blast they seem to enjoy it better. I forgot we also using letter magnets and dry erase board for spelling and letter recognition. I love those things. We also make paper squares and write letters on them for spelling and letter recognition. There are some many ever day thing you can use.

I agree! School is much more fun when you move away from standardized learning. They get to use their imagination and mind more when you can use every day items and situations as a learning tool. My boys LOVED homeschooling.

Latest posts