Hoppy Hoppers rabbitry updates

Ok sort of got it.
aaB_CcddE_EnEn

There are three possibilities in the A series:

A - agouti pattern
at - tan pattern
a - self pattern

Agouti is the most dominant, self the most recessive. Tan is dominant to self, and recessive to agouti. You will see the most dominant pattern that an animal has inherited. Your buck is a self, so he has to be aa.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am hoping some of the brokens turn out to be broken black otters like their mom.

I was responding to this, because none of the brokens looked like otters, lacking white inside of the ears. I believe they would be have to be selfs with the broken gene:
aa B_ C_ D_ E_ Enen

But I am still learning too, so maybe @Bunnylady will correct me, if I am wrong on this.

I am also curious about what your chocolate doe threw. Was this from the same buck? They all look black to me so if from the same buck, it would seem he likely does not carry chocolate but all these kits would.

Last edited:

@Tail of Tails Rabbitry. From what it looks like there are 3 black and 1 tort (I think) in the chocolate does litter. IMAG0857.jpg

And in the litter from Starlight. The broken black otter. Her babies are doing great and are gorgous. IMAG0858.jpg

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks.

Both litters look like variations of blacks to me, so if the sire is the same for both he is likely not carrying chocolate and is probably BB. I would not assume that as a certainty with only one breeding to a chocolate, but I would think it is highly likely unless another breeding proves otherwise.

I also have a litter of 6 black babies from a blue doe that are a day old and a litter of 3 from a black doe that are a day old. Both litters are from him.
What exactly does it mean for the litter of 6 black babies from a blue doe? Can u not get blue babies from a black / blue breeding?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also have a litter of 6 black babies from a blue doe that are a day old and a litter of 3 from a black doe that are a day old. Both litters are from him.
What exactly does it mean for the litter of 6 black babies from a blue doe? Can u not get blue babies from a black / blue breeding?
Black is aa B- C- D
Blue is aa B- C- dd
different genes to get black vs blue, so blues are only possible if the black is aaB-C-Dd (it carries dilute)

@promiseacres. So from my broken blue doe I got a broken blue. So that means the buck is aaB_CcDdE_enen. He carries rew

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
What exactly does it mean for the litter of 6 black babies from a blue doe?

It means you flipped a coin 6 times, and got "tails" all 6 times. That's all. Though the odds with a heterozygote (an animal with two different alleles, rather than two of the same) are 50/50, a sample group as small as one litter or even the entire lifetime production of a single pair is really too small for the results to be significant. You can get results widely skewed from 50/50, and it's still "normal."

I had a REW Holland Lop doe that I bred with a Smoke Pearl buck. In their first two litters, I got REW's and Smoke Pearls. In their 3rd litter, there were a couple of Broken Smoke Pearls, and for a bit, I thought I might have bred her with another buck. Then I remembered that her sire was a Broken Tort, so obviously, she was a Broken, too. It's quite likely that some of her REW offspring were also Broken, I just couldn't see it. Since that pair only produced REW's, Smoke Pearls, and Broken Smoke Pearls, the doe probably was homozygous for dilute (dd), but I couldn't be absolutely sure about that . . . sometimes you have to flip the coin a bunch of times before you get a different result.

(And sometimes, not so much. I once owned a Sable Point Marten Netherland Dwarf that had popped out of a long line of Chestnuts. The owner was like, "what the heck is that??" They didn't even know what to call it! That's, what, 3 sets of recessives that that they didn't know were there that came together all at once?)

Latest posts