How did you come up with your Farm/Ranch/Homestead name?

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My family always makes fun of us because we are "too tender hearted", they say, taking poultry to the vet and putting chilled baby rabbits in our bras to save them and obsessing over goats near kidding. We wanted to turn that into a positive in a way that tells everybody how attached we are to our livestock and how hard we work to keep them healthy and happy AND the fact that we focus mainly on rabbits but we do a little of everything including poultry, goats, bees, a garden, etc, thus "Handled With Care Farm and Rabbitry" was born. It's a little long so we just refer to ourselves as HWC most of the time.

Ruus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My farm name came about due to a long string of coincidences.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite toys was a much-loved plush lamb that was missing its left ear.
When I graduated college and decided I wanted to raise sheep, my mother gave me a lamb statue for the driveway. She got it for 5 bucks because it was... missing its left ear.
When I brought my first sheep home, within 48 hours every one of the ewes had torn out their ear tags... splitting their left ears.

So now I live on Broken Ear Farm. :)

Dolphin Ranch

Just born
Reaction score
My parents': El Ranchito Costa Lotta, for obvious reasons
Mine: Dolphin Ranch. My wife whistles to our children to call them, each having their own particular whistle. My wife found it less stressful to call the children via whistles than yelling for them. We have a lot of children, so whistles are a common occurrence at our house. Dolphins talk to each other via whistles...
My neighbor's: Wine Down Farm

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's not official just yet but I sent in my herd name registration papers yesterday. I'm going for Sweet'M Caprines. I originally registered 1SMC as my herd tattoo because SMC are my daughter's initials. So I was looking for something that used her initials and was 15 letters or less....

cwrabs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ours is Changing Winds Farm and Rabbitry.

It seems we are always changing our minds about how we want to do things around here and it was especially windy at the time.

We built a rabbit shed and thinking it was the perfect size, built on to make it bigger This spring will be another addition!

Same with the animals. We got out of all animals, only to turn around within 6 months and decide we HAD to have them, lol!

We are a registered rabbitry with the American Rabbit Breeders Association and I have sent in for the Changing Winds for the American Dairy Goat Association.

Our goat herd just increased by two this week...and we are thinking about starting to raise quail and muscovy ducks....everything is always changing around here!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ours was not real original. Ours is Tunnel Hill Farm since that is what our little valley is called. Tunnel Hill Road is actually our driveway and got its name because there is a railroad track/tunnel that runs under our drive.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ours was originally windy hill angoras.

A: we raised angora goats B: we are on a hill surrounded by flatish cattle land..so come February especially we have crazy strong winds.

First year we put out metal sheds as goat shelters, they blew away. Second year we tried it again but put anchor cables over the roof beams under the roofing and bags of concrete leaning on the inside... yeah the wind folded it like a book and it eventually tore to pieces and caught on the fence.

We now build with wood.... also we go just by windy hill acres now since we no longer keep angoras.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our original farm name "Smith Family Farm" is pretty self-explanatory. We recently re-named the farm due to another farm in the area using the same name (and they registered the name with the state) so instead of causing trouble, we decided to come up with something else. We'd always talked about re-naming the farm after we moved and owned our own property (we moved in 2011).

The new name is Vinegar Ridge Farm. It is a spin-off of my great-grandfather's farm name - Vinegar Hill Farm. He was active in 4-H and raised Hampshire sheep, and had various other creatures - similar to what our farm is today. The name is also fitting because we live on the ridge over looking a small vineyard.

cwrabs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
purplequeenvt: Checked out your website....love the pics!!