How did you come up with your Farm/Ranch/Homestead name?

tiana29

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My ranch name is Stomp & Steer Ranch. We came up with it because my boyfriend drives open wheeled race cars and racing is a big part of our lives. Stomp and steer is a saying you hear quite a bit in the racing world and I thought it was a cute ranch name that still played into our racing back ground. The only problem is that I don't have any steers. I have sheep but maybe some day I will have some steers.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I know people that call wethered goats and sheep steers. Maybe you could wether one and call him a steer and there you have your steer. lol

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I think we can "bump" an interesting thread, without saying "bump" ;)

My farm name is Honaker Farm.

Honaker is my maiden name. My farm was started by my Grandpa Honaker in 1972. When he died in 1984, my parents took over and it wasn't much of a farm anymore. I decided to revive it and so Honaker Farm is back on the map.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering...when you come up with a farm name do you make it "legal" (register it somewhere) or is it just something you call your place? I'd love to come up with a farm name for our little backyard herd but i wasn't sure if we have to make it legal or...??

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Genipher said:
I was wondering...when you come up with a farm name do you make it "legal" (register it somewhere) or is it just something you call your place? I'd love to come up with a farm name for our little backyard herd but i wasn't sure if we have to make it legal or...??
We have not "legalized" our farm name and do not believe you have to unless you are doing it for a business or something of that nature. I believe back in the day, the farm name was a source of identifying location. Meaning there were not street numbers, appt numbers, etc. It was just go past Misty Hollow Farm, take a left at Johnson's Orchard. When you get to the corner store, Belgian Meadows Farm is on the right.

I believe anyone can "name" their residence and call it whatever they want. If you want to put a sign out at the end of your drive, some times you have to get permission for signage. My dad used to sign everything, have envelopes, stationary and had a big sign that said, Cold Springs Farm because that was his heratige and generations past and he ended up with the original farm sign. He had nothing even close to a farm!

I say, go for it and come up with a name!

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are" This-N-That" farm, we have a little of this and a little of that. Right now we have cows, horses, chickens, guineas, geese well you get the point. Our 9 year old came up with the name. He brought one of his school mates over to show around. During the tour I heard him say "Pop has a little of this and a little of that " you never know what might be in the barn. We use it now on our NPIP registration.

JulieChilders

Just born
Reaction score
We named ours "Outta Psych" because both my husband and I have spent our entire carreers working in the Psychiatric field. After more years then either of us would like to remember we had both hit the point of burnout. In additon I was not going to be able to work much due to Arthirtis, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Asthma etc. we were driving and brainstorming on other jobs and I commented I just want out of psych. We both looked at each other and new this was the name of our farm! It has been pure bliss and happiness since then.
:)

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't decided on a farm name yet. This place is so loaded with poison ivy, a friend suggested 'Itchy Acres', but while it would certainly be memorable, I just can't! LOL

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My farm is named after 2 women. Glenna, my best friends mom. And Margaret, my grandmother.
Their memory is an inspiration everyday.

3787_900x900px-ll-629fd9b8_77123_sign.jpeg

Latest posts