How irresponsible can you be?!

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No tolerance here. The county we live in has no animal control. The 2nd largest county in Ga. Even the police will not come out if you do not know who the dogs belong to. Than they say do what you have to. Last year a dog broke into our coop and just killed 12 of my 3 month old RIR hens. Dog escaped that morning. But came back that night. Needless to say he will not kill anyone elses animals. Than last month I thought I had shut the gate to my fence(wrong) dog got in and attacked my buck with me standing there. He got away and never came back. My buck had some minor injuries I got more. If they are my chicken coops or goats they are gone. But a few months ago I did see a mother dog and her pups passing through the back of my property. They were not interested in my animals so I did let them pass. But come by them bye. After the attack on my goat I never leave the house with out my dogs and a gun. Good luck.

DuckyGurl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow. that is awful! So sorry you have to deal with that. Some people.....:rant

ttclan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Dear friends of ours lost a goat to three neighbor dogs who got in. He guarded the females as best as he could and lost his life for it...but they do think that if he wasn't there they would have lost all their goats. Three of the others had minor injuries and one was in a state of shock for months, their vet wasn't sure she was going to come out of it. It was a mess.

After that they got a guardian dog to live with their goats. Even more than a year later they struggle over the horrible sight they woke up to.

It's too bad people don't control their animals...while we understand that things sometimes happen...more people need to take responsibility for any animals they keep, yet they don't.

@terrilhb I'm sorry to hear about your goat.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
In NH as long as you, or an officer, tells the person who is disregarding the leash laws that you WILL shoot their animal the next time it comes onto your property, there is no need to shoot, shovel and shut up. You could shoot their dog as soon as it steps 1 paw onto your land, make sure it is dead, and then bring it to the owner for them to dispose of as they see fit.

And now, thanks to the Castle legislation, we have that same right with people who trespass on our property, so long as it is CLEARLY signed, "WARNING, NO TRESPASSING! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT!". A .22 won't do much damage, but it WILL get the point across to those who disregard the signs... also, having even a cheap video surveilance system set up will help you, should anyone try to say that you shot the animal or person before they trespassed on your property. ;) I LOVE NH! Live free or die!

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It makes me sad to read about dogs being shot, but if they are killing your source of income....

I don't live in the country, but I have one big Schnoodle that got out once....was missing for all of an hour before he came back. He went to the front door and rang the doorbell. that was the only time he got out. (he was chased back by a stray cat lol)

I think when I move to the country I'm going to get an Anatolian shepherd or two with one of those invisible electric fences and let them protect the place.

I think you gave them plently of warning and a fair offer. the death of their dog is on their shoulders. How they treat their dog says alot about a person.

Chickie2378

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Zero and I mean, 0 tolerance for livestock predidation from dogs.

We have shot many loose dogs. ONLY if it is needed.

We lost 10 goats to wild pack. 1 dead, 9 I had to shoot because of horrible wounds. Guts ripped open, broken legs and more.

Any and all predators are just that, toast if I get my way, either pet or wild.

Only one time did I concede. Neighbors Daschund chased my horse. Cause he could get thru the panel wire. I walked over, after 'double' chatting with animal control, said your dog will be shot and yup, it was leashed since then.

Just because you are 'country' does not mean lose (any) dog to terrorize. One little daschund could mean broken leg for my horse.
Even though good chance the horse would take out the little dog first. :)

Your livestock depends on YOU. Do not slack. You are their first line of defense, from fencing, to housing, to survelliance.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Where I live, there are quite a few new neighbors who have moved from the 'burbs. When they tee-hee about their dog chasing a chicken "guess we're having chicken for supper", try coming back with, "if it goes after my chickens again, we'll be eating dog." They don't like that. I've also come out with shotgun and asked them to go finish off a chicken their dog has injured. Love the 3 S rule!
Cricket

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
goatsintheopen said:
ok, here is the background.. Two big dogs had been coming onto our propery. found the owners.. they live about a half a mile away..live right next to each other.

We call animal control..they talk to the people.. dogs STILL come on our property..we warn the two families..multiple times that their dog will be shot...dogs STILL come onto our property..Finally....we shoot one dog..the other gets away. Tell the one family their dog is dead and the other, that their neighbors dog was shot and that their's will be next.

and today what do I see?! THAT DOG ON MY PROPERTY AGAIN!!! Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my shotgun quick enough.. but REALLY?! after you KNOW your neighbors dog was shot and you let it roam still?!?!? :he

I am just amazed at the total lack of concern and the complete irresponsibility of these people!!! :rant

The dog is a very nice looking dog.. it's such a shame it's gonna be worm food soon. :rolleyes: :(
You did what you needed to do. I would advise that you do not telegraph your intentions in the future. Just take care of business, bury it and don't create the potential for retribution. You never know what kind of person you are dealing with and you put yourself and your livestock at risk when you try doing the "right thing".

Irresponsible people do not supervise or deal with the consequences of what their pets do to others. They simply do not care.

MyLittleParadise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We're having the same kind of problem. There are two pitbulls a couple acres away from my bird pens and pastures. I don't have anything against pitbulls but we repeatedly told the neighbors to lock them up, they didn't. One of the pitbulls came from a guy who got rid of it because it kept attacking people. They eventually shot it for killing two of their goats. That was their 'nice' dog. They still have the other one. They have two small children. Not very smart. But they mooved due to financial problems. Now there's a pack of dogs coming around. My dad disposed of one. They haven't been back.

gretchenann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think you have been more than patient and don't blame you a bit, animals harmed or not- they keep coming to your place for a reason, probably just a matter of time before something was attacked again... plus when there are 2 or more they can be a dangerous nuisance- what would happen if one were to bow up at you or a child on your place ? The responsibility lies with the irresponsible owners- you have to protect your own-
I am an Environmental Enforcement Investigator and I see this all the time- unfortunatley not enough is done to hold the owners accountable, so it's left to you and me to do what we don't want to do...