How irresponsible can you be?!

gigiintheforest

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
"It seems that there is a disconnect with rural living and urban values and lifestyles. Could this be a factor in the per capita crime rates of rural areas
vs. urban populations?"

Not so sure this is the case. We have lived in the city for most of our lives and only recently moved to the country. We loved both situations and have the same values now as we did then. I think you nailed it when you said that it is about respect and responsibility. Those two values are critical regardless of where you live. We actually have experienced more crime/theft in the country than we did in town but that doesn't mean much except there are dishonest/disrepectful people regardless of where you live.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was raised in the heart of Little Rock, our capital city. I moved to the country five years ago with my ex-husband, and the first thing, FIRST THING we spent money on was a good field fence. And until we had that fence, our dogs were not let outside without a leash, or us close by. MY Ex was all "they wont go far" and I said "Bull. We live on 8 wooded acres, which backs u to 200 wooded acres, and neighbor with guns. MY dog is not going outside without a fence or a leash".

We got a fence.

We got goats. I had Jack and the ladies for a month, and came home to one lady dead, Jack Dying, and my queen on top of the car, trembling. The neighbors pit bull mixes had climbed the fence, overpowered our shelties (who luckily were not badly hurt) and hurt my sharpei mix. They then killed our pygmy girl, and destroyed jacks back legs.

I then said I wanted an LGD, and he said no. We continued to have problems with the wild dogs. I said I wanted a gun. He said no.

Finally I said I wanted a divorce (for many, many reasons). The day after he moved out, I got Oscar my Great Pyrenees. He stays on the fence, and takes care of my babies. He has also torn up a coyotes thru the fence. I know because brought me part of its face (eeeew).

New hubby moved in. Brought a gun with him. And while we have not had a problem with wild dogs because we now have two great pyrs and a Newfoundland to watch the babies, we are fully prepared to shoot any dog on our property that harasses the goats.

If I can spend the money, as a poor college student at the time, to build a fence, then anyone else who has dogs should too.

Anyway,t he point is I grew up in the city, and it never even occurred to me to allow my dogs to roam free.

gigiintheforest

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

If I can spend the money, as a poor college student at the time, to build a fence, then anyone else who has dogs should too.

Anyway,t he point is I grew up in the city, and it never even occurred to me to allow my dogs to roam free.

This is exactly what we did also when we moved to the country. Our dogs were penned in in the city and in the country. Only responsible thing to do!

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
gigiintheforest said:

This is exactly what we did also when we moved to the country. Our dogs were penned in in the city and in the country. Only responsible thing to do!
And that's what I get for painting everyone with a broad brush. Hope you enjoy the country now that you are prepared and have the mindset to protect what is yours.

Sounds like you now have the right husband with a good mindset to protect and defend you and yours. Did the ex go back to the city? Just curious, don't mean to be prying.:duc

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goatmasta said:
Hope your goats don't get out and wonder over to the neighbors house.
I bet the goats won't be eating the neighbor's cats or dogs though.