How much land do I want?

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yay! We finally have a signed contract! Anticipated closing is June 16. Next stop, the inspection! We have an inspector that we really like. He's very thorough, but I think still think the house will get his seal of approval. I certainly don't see anything majorly wrong with it. :fl

We've spent about 8 hours at the new farm so far, a mix of business and social calls. The owners seem like really great folks, and they're very helpful. I'm actually going to head over tomorrow for a little while to help out with some chores and start getting some hands-on learning. I think we're going to work with the cattle and bees. We've already spent a good amount of time getting to know the goats. (Socializing the kids... It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.) :lol: We'll be "inheriting" the 15 oldest hens, too, so we need to get cracking on a mobile coop before closing. So overall, we're going to hit the ground running, but I think we're getting a really good foundation set up.

And we got our new farm dogs! :clap As I've mentioned previously, our older chow mix, Sam, is and will remain a housedog. I think she'll love running all over the farm during the day, but she'll sleep inside. So we needed a couple of pups who can patrol the property 24/7. We weren't looking for LGDs, just all-around farm dogs, and I think these girls will work nicely! We decided to go ahead and get some pups now so that we could start getting them socialized and grown up a bit before we get onto the new place. They came from San Antonio Animal Care Services (city pound). They're approx 10 weeks old and came into the shelter Tues night with their mom and sisters. I like that they're still young and have been with mom and siblings all this time. Mom dog was a real sweetie-- clearly nervous, but friendly. She looks like a full German shepherd to me, although the shelter was calling her a mix. No idea about dad dog(s), obviously. One pup looks like a German shepherd but with gorgeous brindle markings on her legs. The other pup has pretty rust colored markings and a bit of white. She has a smoother coat than her sister, and I really have no idea what she might be mixed with. For now, the pups are being crate trained and sleeping in our utility room. The current owners of the new property installed dog doors in the garage, so hopefully the pups will adjust easily if I put their crate inside the garage. Depending on their size in a few weeks, I'll probably lock them in the crate overnight for a little while once we get to the farm. Not sure they'll be ready to tackle things that go bump in the night just yet. I'll post pics, but last time I tried, the link didn't work. Any suggestions for photo sharing platforms?

Here's mama dog's photo from the shelter's website. As of last night, she and all her pups had found homes. :D
18268249_1324305597653301_4851557730118285211_n.jpg

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can drag and drop pictures right where you type. Or you can use the tiny little picture button next to the smiley face button to add a url link for a picture. I find dragging pics the easiest for me.

Congrats!!! Hopefully the loan process goes smoothly. :weee

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found out up there in Real County, the new appraiser wants to raise the acreage amount to 30 acres to qualify for an exemption. Of course, I don't know if this will happen or not.
I don't know about where you live but in Vermont it is the legislature that decides such things. No appraiser/lister would have any control, nor say other than as just another citizen of the state, in the matter.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the contract signed! That's the first big step! Awesome!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll post pics, but last time I tried, the link didn't work. Any suggestions for photo sharing platforms?
I've posted lots of pics just using the "upload a file" option button just to the right of the 'post reply' button.
(don't forget, that after the file uploads, you have to select either full size or thumbnail)

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The local taxing district is allowed to set the rules concerning agricultural exemptions, and wildlife exemptions. He apparently upped them in the previous district he was appraiser for.(30 acres for agricultural and 75 for wildlife) This can vary based on the county you are in since it is set by the taxing district.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The local taxing district is allowed to set the rules concerning agricultural exemptions, and wildlife exemptions. He apparently upped them in the previous district he was appraiser for.(30 acres for agricultural and 75 for wildlife) This can vary based on the county you are in since it is set by the taxing district.
Wow, that sucks. ONE person gets to decide based on his/her personal opinion? New person takes the job and decides to change the rules? Bad, just bad.

Latest posts