How much land do I want?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know about where you live but in Vermont it is the legislature that decides such things. No appraiser/lister would have any control, nor say other than as just another citizen of the state, in the matter.
In Texas, the State legislature does pass the statute allowing for the ag valuation, but it allows each county to vary from what the state statute says. Unless something has changed, the Texas State statute says 10 acres minimum, but being a big state, with geology and climate ranging from desert in the far southwest of the state to rainforest like conditions in East Texas Big Thicket, there's simply no way to fairly and adequately set any "one size fits all" mandate here.

Another thing the tax district can do, is decrease the amt a homestead exemption is, and can even abolish the exemption altogether. I saw that happen in the district just North of San Angelo when I lived there, when the school district built a new high school the voters had already twice voted down. The county was stuck with finding some way to pay for the school, couldn't actually raise any more taxes or float a bond so they abolished the homestead exemption to increase tax revenues.

And as I have said before, the entire state of Texas, according to statute, is open range, the only exception according to state statute is along State and Federal highways. Each county tho, thru public referendum, is allowed to vote in a 'stock law', abolishing open range in that county.

(There are several counties tho, by State statute, that are not allowed to vote on a stock law.)

Sec. 143.072. EXCEPTIONS; COUNTYWIDE ELECTIONS. The following counties may not conduct a countywide election on the running at large of cattle: Andrews, Coke, Culberson, Hardin, Hemphill, Hudspeth, Jasper, Jefferson, Kenedy, Kinney, LaSalle, Loving, Motley, Newton, Presidio, Roberts, Schleicher, Terry, Tyler, Upton, Wharton, or Yoakum.

Last edited:

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted recently. Between kids, puppies, homeschooling, and buying a new place (dealing with loans, insurance, inspections, and all that), I haven't had much time for the computer!

Our inspection went well! :celebrate There are a few things that we've asked the sellers to repair, and they've agreed. There are also a few things that we're going to ignore for now, as we'd just as soon tackle them ourselves. But the inspector says he'd buy the place. :D Next steps are a septic inspection and the appraisal, both of which will likely be next week. And we're working on getting home/farm insurance quotes. What fun.

The puppies are doing well. We had a scary couple days where they were sick and the vet said it could be early Distemper. :hit The kids and I actually postponed some travel plans to stay home and nurse the pups and be here in case we had to say goodbye. However, after a few days on antibiotics they're nearly 100% again, so we're going with the vet's first hunch, which was some unspecified bacterial infection (maybe coccidia). :D Not uncommon for dogs to leave the shelter incubating some bug or another. Also, the pups were probably a week or so younger than the shelter thought, putting them at about 10.5 weeks now. They're growing fast! Dot was 12+ lb on Monday, and Ruby is about 1 lb heavier.

And I've got pictures!

My kiddos hanging out with the goat kids. We'll get some of these guys in the sale, not sure which ones yet. I believe there are currently 9 goat kids on the property. I'm not sure yet how goats I want to keep on the property... Gotta put some thought into that.
IMG_20170503_134443347.jpg

One of my favorite parts of the property- 4 acres of woods with a creek. We're calling it Cricket Frog Creek. :D
IMG_20170503_141024657.jpg

Our 9 year old girl, Sam
IMG_20170504_184408583.jpg

Meet and greet :)
IMG_20170504_184813422.jpg

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ruby
IMG_20170505_090642690.jpg

The kids' cats, Starlight and Queen... You noticing that all the critters are color-coordinated? That was a total accident! LOL
IMG_20170505_131345807.jpg

The pups have gotten to visit the farm already! We brought them along for the inspection last week since they couldn't "hold it" the whole time we were gone.
IMG_20170511_130043253.jpg

Dot
IMG_20170518_184224352.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So happy for you! The kids (both sets) look awesome! What fun... kids living in the country with animals! Love the pups and glad it wasn't something terminal. They are gonna love :love life on the farm too! They'll find all kinds of "trouble" to get into, right along side their mentors; your kids ;) Congrats! You must be thrilled, excited, overwhelmed, scared and a lot of other feelings all at the same time :lol::hugs It will all be worth it in the end!

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:celebrateSo happy for you. It is a gorgeous place, and all the kids(lol, including goats and puppies:yaare so cute).