How much land do I want?

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LMK17, have you thought about going to George West, or Three Rivers? I know both of those are about 1 hour from San Antonio. The prices there are much cheaper. Land generally goes for about $3400.00 or a little more per acre. There is a new listing with 5 acres and a brick home there for $169000. in George West. I don't know how grand you want it or what kind of budget you have. There is also 32 acre plot, fenced but without a house for $212000.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We put in a certified septic system and electric service on 11 acres along with a cabin. The septic was $5500. and the electric pole was $1500. We also had a cottage built. We had bought 11 acres in Leakey, but we have sold it now to buy 30 acres with a home.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks again! We seriously considered that one in Boerne. Unfortunately, it's already under contract. Would've been nice to have 17+ acres up that way, though! And that's kinda what I mean about things up there being expensive-- That was a mobile home listed for close to $400K. And even then, that's way less than anything else I've seen up that way on so much land. Properties up north are hard to come by, it seems. :(

We have considered building. I still kind of like the idea, although I'm worried about unforeseen costs with bringing on utilities and such. I need to talk with someone regarding general building costs around here, but since I haven't done that yet, we're focusing on existing construction. Still keeping the building option open, though.

And I definitely mean donkeys. :) I have considered mules, too, but since I'm specifically trying to stay away from what I consider to be the major drawbacks of horses (spooky, expensive), I'm not keen on getting anything that's even part horse! LOL I think a large standard donkey should suit us well. I do hear mules are very good at stomping rattlesnakes to death, so they've got that in their favor!

I also like the idea of a donkey as a guard animal. I don't want to get one specifically for that purpose, as I primarily want to drive and ride and donkey, but if the ones I end up with also happen to be good guardians, I won't complain, as long as they leave my dogs alone.

I see today the one in Boerne has the listing down so it must have sold for sure. Have you checked out the property on Jett Rd? Honestly it looks like a heck of a deal and lush with property suited to horses....which means it should be good for most any other livestock and already being fences, esp the perimeter fence with driveway gates is a huge plus honestly.

If the north has high prices, crumby farmland, and smaller and fewer plots why on earth do you want to live there? None of those sound like good things or perks. Unless you want to go an hour or more north/northwest i can't see a single property that would be good for livestock other then goats(considering you want to pasture feed) short of paying over 1/2 a million for not much in acreage or buildings.

Maybe really consider your most important goals?

Is it going to be better for you to live north or northwest and possibly have to squeeze more animals in then the land can support and then have to supplement them year round?

Alternatively do you want to live in the north but only have room for a few goats/sheep and penned pigs with a small garden and a fruit tree or two?

Is it more important to live in the north/northwest then to not have to buy feed year round?

Im not anti-north/northwest but honestly if you want to have livestock and dont want to set your self up for failure with a very high mortgage payment and a very high feed bill the north doesnt make any sense. There are several nice places to the south/east that look like they have really nice improved pasture land and trees for shade along with a reasonable amount of acreage with a low mortgage payment. A lower payment would mean that if you hit a bad season and your pasture did turn into a burned crisp you could easily afford feed for a few months until it came back.

It's not my house and i'm not trying to force you to do anything by all means if you want a house a certain place you are entitled to it but really i cant see anything that makes the north better, most of the places look like poo or poo with poo pasture unless over 400K and even then it is 12acres or less.

Just make sure you know what you really want.

You could always sell later and buy a new house as well but that is a pain.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LMK17, have you thought about going to George West, or Three Rivers?

I love the idea of less expensive land, but with either of those, my husband's commute would be in the ball park of 70 miles each way, unfortunately.

...Have you checked out the property on Jett Rd? Honestly it looks like a heck of a deal and lush with property suited to horses....which means it should be good for most any other livestock and already being fences, esp the perimeter fence with driveway gates is a huge plus honestly.

If the north has high prices, crumby farmland, and smaller and fewer plots why on earth do you want to live there? None of those sound like good things or perks. Unless you want to go an hour or more north/northwest i can't see a single property that would be good for livestock other then goats(considering you want to pasture feed) short of paying over 1/2 a million for not much in acreage or buildings.

Jett Rd might be a good deal, but there are several things I don't like about it. For one, the house is a bit small for us. We live in about 1900 sqft now, and it works nicely though is a bit cramped given all the homeschool "stuff" we accumulate. Jett Rd is 1400 sqft. Granted, we could always consider adding onto it, but that brings me to my other issue with it. Namely, it's just outside the San Antonio city limits, and SA has a pretty aggressive annexation policy. When we moved to the city 9 years ago, we were right on the edge of town, and lots of new neighborhoods just beyond us were advertising "No City Taxes!" and such. Well, those places are all miles within the city now, much to the chagrin of many of the residents. I REALLY don't want our homestead to be within the city and subject to the city ordinances and higher tax rates.

I like north because it's gorgeous, I'm familiar with the area, we have friends up that way, and many of the places we like to visit are there. Not to mention, there's actually dirt up there and not just sand and sand burrs. But you are correct that it's crummy farmland, for the most part, and that it's goats who really thrive there (due to the terrain and brush). That said, I'm not being bullheaded about wanting to live north. Actually, we have an appointment with our real estate agent to see properties tomorrow, and all those places are south of SA (Somerset, Floresville, and Stockdale areas). I honestly do realize that our best opportunites will likely be south or east... Still, a girl can dream, right? :D

:hide <--- My 8 year old happened by as I was typing this and asked if he could add in emojis, so here they are. --->:celebrate

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LMK17, don't give up. We were ready to give up when the little property we were buying came along. I get you about the long commute. I homeschool too. We are downsizing to 1500 sq. ft., and building an outbuilding for my husband to have an office. lol We currently have a 3000 sq. ft. house with 4 bds, 4 baths, now down to a 3 bd, 2 bath, but my Hubby has always wanted a place to have cattle, so I will make a compromise. Our other house only had an acre. I was so bummed because we couldn't find what we were looking for, and then bam. It has good bones, and we are having to remodel the baths, kitchen, and redo the flooring. I am channeling Joanna Gaines on the Fixer Upper. Lol. Let us know when you find your dream home. I don't want to offend you, but I will pray for you to find it.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LMK17, don't give up... I don't want to offend you, but I will pray for you to find it.

Offend me because you'll pray? :lol: Fat chance. :D I've been praying all along for God to guide us and help us know "the" property when we see it. And that we can use any extra bounty from our farm to bless those in need around us.

So, yeah. I'm good on the prayer thing. And thanks!

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Glad to know that. Some people get upset. I share eggs all the time with families that need a little extra help. It may not be much, but they look forward to those eggs. I have about 12 chickens. When we close on our new home, we will get some Dexter Cattle. As far as goats go, they are fun. Our kids raised Boer goats for FFA. Goat is very lean. We even made sausage out of it. We also have a small garden where we are living now. My husband grew up visiting his Grandparents on a ranch with cattle, and his Papa had an egg route. My grandmother worked as a Housekeeper for a rancher up in Livingston. My husband won't raise pigs because they can be really stinky, but his Grandpa did. I want some Baby doll sheep. You can raise abut 6 baby doll sheep on 1 acre. Geese are good for eating weeds in a garden patch. They usually won't eat the garden crop, but sometimes they can. I am looking for some cotton patch geese. Guinea Fowl are good for eating bugs in a garden and don't scratch it up. They will eat ticks, and alert on snakes. They are very loud. They are like loud watchdogs. You can eat Guinea Fowl, they are like pheasant. My hubby said all those places look nice. It just depends on your style. Some need more fencing than others. Fencing is about $10,000 a mile(I think that is about 5500 feet). I will be praying for you to find your dream homestead.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Reindeermama where are you located? In Texas? haha we moved from Livingston,Texas 2 years ago to just north of Tyler. We downsized from 2500 sq ft brick home with 2 car garage to 1500 doublewide on 8 acres. We moved to be closer to our DD and family. Downsizing isn't so bad, it sure helps you clear out the clutter LOL.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Lol, yes we are in Texas, and moving near George West. My grandma worked as a housekeeper for a Mr. Coleman in Livingston. It is funny. We moved up to a larger house, and then downsized in 2009 to a 2000 sq ft home, then our middle daughter moved back home. We have a younger son who is 12 years younger than her. So we sized back up. Now we are downsizing again. The first time, wow, I got rid of clutter, and furniture. Now I have collected it again. Oh well, it never hurts to purge and declutter. Besides, the chance to have 30 acres, and for my husband to have the land he has always dreamed of is worth every sacrifice of square footage to me. My son loves the outdoors too. He says he is going to be a farmboy now. He is 14.