How Much Land Do You Have?

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow you guys, sounds like you've all got it sorted. I know its SO expensive fencing large areas, and I'm of a very aesthetic mind so I know I'm going to HAVE to get it all done at once and it has to match. Still can't decide exactly what "look" I want, but it'll have to be pretty.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
60 acres and 64 more leased adjoining me. Pond, pastures, working facility, sheds, barn, shop, house and yard. All fenced and crossfenced. All taken from a forest. Taking it is easy, keeping the forest from taking it back is the hard part.
may2014%20019%20640x480%202_zps2hhfyhmj.jpg

calves%20007%20640x480_zpscqqzggqs.jpg

mar2012water026medium.jpg

The forest you see in the background below--all gone now. Place where my house and yard sits was forest a year before this picture was taken.
after1_zpserp4dkq5.jpg

016bw.jpg

kh61.jpg

It didn't always look this way--it all looked like this when I began in 2006:
thensmall.jpg

then this:
before_1_zpsifm2x9oe.jpg

To this:
rfop.JPG

You want to take land from Ma Nature, better bring your A game. BTDT
rbyx.jpg

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Holy wow @greybeard that's incredible.
I can get land cheaper because it's ex-logging property, how long/expensive is the procedure to create pasture from forest?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
We have 5.76 acres of land. My rabbit barn is 20ftx12ft. We have a split level house that is not huge but nice sized, Garage that is probably 30ftx 40ft and two large garden beds (never used by us we are still cleaning the land of trash from previous owners) then I have the goat pen just off of the rabbit barn for now about a 15x30ft pen has been working as at night when we are home the two goat kids come out and they get to graze all they want. Eventually I want to fence in part of the property that has grown up for them and rotate them between the two pens for grazing as well as expand the pen into the woods and back where it has overgrown to give them close to an acre of room. But we only have two and probably will only have two until babies come in 2017. Next year we will be adding in chickens, ducks and geese. About 7 hens, 2 ducks and 2 geese. And I am hoping once our puppies are all growed up and I have a new barn built I will add a full time LGD for the goats.

This is our "starter" home and we do hope to have a minimum of 20 acres eventually but everyone starts somewhere! I would love to have a beef cow or two, maybe a pig or two and do some meat rabbit, goat and chickens for our family along with recreational horses for our own enjoyment and riding. That is a ways off for now LOL. Little by little is how we have been adding to it all.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We have around 4 acres, with 1.5 acres fenced in for the sheep. We have a 20x32 barn and a 64x24 pen around the barn. The chickens have an 8x10 shed.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Baymule I don't want to look like a show off... Or anything like it. This ranch is my husband's ... We have been married for a year and 8 months and it is just starting to feel like home. He was born and raised here. It is without a doubt the most magical place I've ever seen. My in-laws raise cows and that is it, they are pretty much retired. We have donkeys, cows, a rescued horse, a mule, 3 dogs, and now a lil lamb. Hahaha

This is a pic of the lil road from the main entrance gate towards the house.
FB_IMG_1452919927251.jpg

If you are on this road and you turn to the left...you will see the pasture (next pics- obviously taken on different times of the year) that is where Cinderella (the rescued horse), her daughter Chantilly (the mule) and the donkeys usually like to hang out...they are free range... They don't have a specific location.

FB_IMG_1452919931127.jpg
FB_IMG_1452919954596.jpg

If you keep going down the road you will eventually get to a pond to your right.. It's filled with cat fish which we feed so we are sure they are as clean as possible.
FB_IMG_1452919919011.jpg

Once you pass the pond you will go up 2 hills the first one if you make a right will lead you to a very special place my hubby and I call our Hill Top Village. We love making bonfires and hang out... He also placed 2 bathtubs that over see some area.
FB_IMG_1452920891354.jpg

If you don't make a right and keep going straight you will eventually get to the second top-- which is the highest point of all the area (not just of the ranch, but of a lot of area for miiiiiles). There is the house which I have no pictures of here, but I have a pic of our pool which oversees the treetops of the areas. It is fascinating!
FB_IMG_1452919971496.jpg
FB_IMG_1452919964801.jpg

Then passing the house you will find more land then a pasture where the cows are... They are rotated around pastures (I think it's a common practice?) ...in this pic we are feeding some calfs
FB_IMG_1452919982139.jpg
FB_IMG_1452919986795.jpg

There is then a lake that my hubs made with my in-laws years ago...(I only have this pic on my phone...you can see it from far away?) It too is filled with catfish which are fed as it is man made and they need us to feed them (or so my husband told me). We don't sell the fish or anything...and honestly we hardly eat any hahaha.
FB_IMG_1452920035469.jpg

Most of the ranch which is not in pics are woods/forest. It is all nature and a true miracle from God. We don't kill our cows, we sell them ... My hubs said these kind of cows aren't really used for meat, but for investment, or something like that...so I think they will not end up in anyone's plate... Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I maxed out my images to upload here hahahahah :) that was a tour of part of the ranch. :)

Last edited: