How old is too old to cut a bull?

Kim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old Highland bull, he's just pasture art. I have gotten into the miniature Herefords and don't want him breeding them, so my question is can I cut him at his age? Will it change his personality? No one wants to buy him so I think I may just keep him. He is a gorgeous big white bull and I don't want him to be food. Thanks in advance, Kim in GA

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
At this size/age, it would be best to have him "pinched". Cutting or banding would be quite dangerous, and he risk of infection on those huge scrotums is very real.

Kim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What is pinched? I am new to this issue. Kim in GA

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Most large animal vets (and many farmers/ranchers) have a tool called a "burdizzo". This is specially made to fit over the scrotum and pinch the cords and arteries to the testicle. There is no blood or open wound, and the testicles just wither away. I use this method on bulls that are too large to cut. I do not band anything because I've had some that got tetanus or other infections after banding.

Kim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks JHM47,
I will call my vet tomorrow. Kim

5Jerseygirls

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Kim, Did you castrate your bull? If so what method and how is he now. I have a 3 year old I want to keep. He is not mean yet and I want to keep it that way. I'm hoping to hear from others who have already castrated mature bulls and how it has affected their personalities. Any one who can chime in on this issue would be very helpful. Thanks

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Jerseygirls
We pinch the bulls that dont quite make the grade and bull calves who would never make the grade. The calves just turn into steers behaving fairly calm but the more mature guys still think they are bulls for a while at least with all tackle working. But the good news is your girls wont give birth to a Jersey / Highland cross bull - can you imagine a Jersey bull with Highland horns
:ep :ep

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Echo the sentiments of the burdizzo or bloodless castrators. One addtional thing to be aware of: with a bull that mature, the rest of his equipment will still function. He'd still be able to mount and service a cow, and will still have the mindset to do so. Be aware of any risk of STD in your cattle if he's running with your cows.

5Jerseygirls

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
brentr said:
Echo the sentiments of the burdizzo or bloodless castrators. One addtional thing to be aware of: with a bull that mature, the rest of his equipment will still function. He'd still be able to mount and service a cow, and will still have the mindset to do so. Be aware of any risk of STD in your cattle if he's running with your cows.
How long will he be fertile after the burdizzo and will his "man purse" eventually fall off or shrivel and stay with him forever. It is close to the size of a boxer's punching bag. :ep
Once the testosterone is out of his system could he STILL become aggressive when a cow is in heat?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
5Jerseygirls said:
brentr said:
How long will he be fertile after the burdizzo and will his "man purse" eventually fall off or shrivel and stay with him forever. It is close to the size of a boxer's punching bag. :ep
Once the testosterone is out of his system could he STILL become aggressive when a cow is in heat?
He will remain fertile for a couple weeks after the testes are removed. Since you are castrating him past maturity, he will most likely still show his bully characteristics when a cow's in heat. He'd make a great gomer bull, though.