how to get rid of coons

islandgal99

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I live where I will always have coons, we have no large predators like foxes, coyotes, bears, cougars, wolves...so coons are near the top. And it's residential so no hunting. I read that there are problem coons and there are coons that just hang around. The last problem coon I trapped and he was disposed of. But since then, the remaining coons have behaved themselves. My pens and houses are all coon-proof, so they try once or twice and move on to something better. And I have the "something better" kind right now, I know they are there as I see the little trails, but they leave everything alone. The odd visit to the deck in the middle of the night, and I see them occasionally in the yard and that's it. Why do I leave them? Because they are territorial and will keep away the "keep trying till I get it" coon. So far it's worked. I read that somewhere, that if you are "blessed" - ha ha - with the "something better" coon, that they will chase off the "keep on trying" coon. Year and a half, so far so good.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am sure that all are aware that nothing in Mother Nature's care is static. This being the case, any change in the environment to desrupt the food source and all bets are off. Then, what one may think is " coon proof" will NOT be. :caf

islandgal99

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Go figure, make a post saying how I live knowing there are coons, and the current coons leave me alone. The next day a coon showed up in broad daylight, got one of my favorite hens and I had to fight the coon to get the hen away from it, and then it followed me! I suspect someone has been feeding it, cause it's pretty darned tame and looks healthy. I have a neighbor across the street who feeds the deer, wonder if he started feeding the coon. Drives me crazy when people domesticate wild animals that go on to bother other people. Trap is set, and I'm impatiently waiting...I can't shoot them so have to trap them.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
what are you going to do once you trap it? If you turn it loose somewhere it will just bother someone else. Also you will teach it not to go into another trap.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've found a good dog outside 24/7 takes care of both of those things and more so if they are of the LGD persuasion. When I had a LGD mix she would pretty much try to kill stray dogs and my other farm mutt kills all the coons and possums. Now that my old Lucy is gone, the farm mutt still does a great job on all the preds except stray dogs, to whom he is much too friendly. Those get the SSS.

Can't emphasize enough how valuable the silent disappearance of stray dogs can be. Pretty soon folks start keeping their dogs at home.... if they even replace them at all. But, I'd rather just have a nice LGD that would keep them off the property so I wouldn't have to resort to that method.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've found a good dog outside 24/7 takes care of both of those things and more so if they are of the LGD persuasion. When I had a LGD mix she would pretty much try to kill stray dogs and my other farm mutt kills all the coons and possums. Now that my old Lucy is gone, the farm mutt still does a great job on all the preds except stray dogs, to whom he is much too friendly. Those get the SSS.

Can't emphasize enough how valuable the silent disappearance of stray dogs can be. Pretty soon folks start keeping their dogs at home.... if they even replace them at all. But, I'd rather just have a nice LGD that would keep them off the property so I wouldn't have to resort to that method.
You are completely correct! I have 2 llamas that team up to kill stray dogs and other predators. Our irresponsible neighbor is too lazy to fix any fence and his cattle get out often. A young 400lb bull calf got into our goat pasture and our llamas chased the poor thing for an hour or so until it just laid down and gave up the chase. The llamas were attempting to bite the calf when the poor thing ran through the fence back onto the neighbor's property. I had to fix the fence since the neighbor chose to deny ownership of the calf and refused to help fix the fence. We called animal ctrl. on him and they cited him?

Livestock lover

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would say use a .22 or a trap. One of the small game traps, they are about $20.00 but well worth it. Hope you get them!