How to teach my 16 year old horse gelding to run?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I, too, suggest vet eval on arthritis & meds if needed. May be a simple fix to keep him comfortable. And while that may be helpful, exercise is necessary, within limits. It is important that he be stretched and warmed up slowly for comfort and good care, to keep him lightly riding.

You may want to get another horse for your style of riding. But, if this guy has been with you for a while, I'd hate to see him moved without EXTREME concern for his new digs and their knowledge & care. I feed a small herd of aging minis every day because they gave to me when I was raising/breeding, I plan to give them retirement and do that. It is better than worrying what stresses a change would cause a 30 yr old horse, for me anyway. Most have never known another owner.

Sassysarah123

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I, too, suggest vet eval on arthritis & meds if needed. May be a simple fix to keep him comfortable. And while that may be helpful, exercise is necessary, within limits. It is important that he be stretched and warmed up slowly for comfort and good care, to keep him lightly riding.

You may want to get another horse for your style of riding. But, if this guy has been with you for a while, I'd hate to see him moved without EXTREME concern for his new digs and their knowledge & care. I feed a small herd of aging minis every day because they gave to me when I was raising/breeding, I plan to give them retirement and do that. It is better than worrying what stresses a change would cause a 30 yr old horse, for me anyway. Most have never known another owner.
Thank You!
I Have Had Him For a 2 Months.

Sassysarah123

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Would it be okay to trot him once in a while?

Sassysarah123

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am a little disappointed because it took me awhile to save for my own horse. I saved 1100 and now that I hear that I shouldn't be even trotting him.... Well I kind of wanted a horse that I could ride all day without him getting tired.

Sassysarah123

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Would it be bad for him to ride him all day just walking?

Sassysarah123

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_20171115_161611.jpg
This is him

Sassysarah123

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have some videos of him trotting.
Would they help?
Too hard to give an answer... we have no clue how bad his arthritis is or where it is. And it isn't impossible it's a learned behavior over a physical. If you want solid answers get him evaulated

Reactions: TAH