How/where do you store all your supplies?

RoosterHollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My barn is almost ready for goats, Yay!!! I was planning on hanging several cabinets out there to store all my goat stuff, other than the things that need to be refrigerated....but now i'm wondering if that's such a great idea. (I'm in Washington State...so rainy, but not many freezing or super warm temps) I'm sure things like syringes, gloves, etc will be fine......but will things like wormers, dimethox, copasure, etc, be ok out there, or should I keep those types of things in the house? Do you keep different supplies in different places? Thanks for any imput on this!

RoosterHollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! I guess I'll plan on storing everything out there, and adjust as needed.

Canadiannee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi RoosterHollow...

Generally I keep all medical supplies like, bandages, gauze, rubber gloves, syringes and any items that will not freeze or become damp in the barn medicine cabinet... Items that need to be refridgerated go into a small plastic tote in the fridge, and any medication that's in a powder form or should be kept at room temperature goes into a medical kit (tool box) inside the house... I find medication in powder form can get damp in rainy or damp conditions rendering it useless... AND I like having these kits separate in the house, so when I need them, I just grab a kit and go...

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a small apt sized fridge in the barn for my refrigerated meds, gloves, syringes, grooming supplies, etc is in a cabinet in the barn. Anything else that needs not to freeze or be stored at room temp is in a cabinet in my kitchen.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Since we have wild temperature swings at times here in Ohio, I keep my medicine cabinet in the house. I have a tall cabinet that I store everything in.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We have a small medicine cabinet in our coat closet that we keep all of the goat meds in, except for the few that need refrigeration. Everything else, we keep in a metal cabinet in the barn.

We did buy three clearance rack tool boxes too, the plastic kind, and use those to sort specific job things. Once box is for hoof trimming stuff (clippers, file, disinfectant, HoofnHeal), one for vaccination supplies and banding (syringes, luerlocks,rubbing alcohol, bander), and one for birthing stuff (puller, iodine, scissors, clamps, dental floss, and a bunch of other stuff). It is nice to be able to grab out the box we need and have it all in one container (plus it stays cleaner).

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I live in a heavily wooded area and that basically translates into dampness. Plastic storage is the way I have to go as metal rusts.
I use this plastic style cabinet for all of my animal medicines/supplies, not just the goats. Works great and it's easy to clean and doesn't rust.

0007314914285_500X500_zpsf83b6e82.jpg

RoosterHollow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information! For those that keep things in the house...do you find yourself running back and forth when you need something? I can just envision myself trying to deal with an injury or emergency and having to search for what i'm looking for. I like the idea of kits for different situations, but in-the-house storage is currently hard to come by :hu. In the barn, I'm installing two large wood cabinets that we salvaged from the laundry room, plus a very cool glass front vintage/antique cabinet we found in the garage when we moved in. I'm thinking I may store powdered type meds in plastic bins in the cabinets to both sort and protect from moisture out in the barn.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you are storing supplies in an out building old fridges can be your friend. Keeps pests out and humidity is not an issue as long as the door seal is intact.