Hubby wants meat calves... help me know if it's a good thing or not

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good lord Royd I was going to say the same thing about the Hereford. ;) ;)

like it has been stated start small.
We sell ours as natural. Just regular vaccines and de-wormers. We use Bovi Shield Gold 5 and a pour on. Check with a vet in your area.
Like Royd said get some weaned steers and winter them and butcher the one in the fall. Should be finished out by then.
also get hay for them.

I am feeding out a steer of ours right now. He is getting ground barley and soy bean meal at night and bull developer and cob with mollasses in the morning. He is filling out nicely.
Got some other steers not quite ready that are getting just ground barley.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Herefords? You must have some decent lines down there. Last herefords we had would not stay in condition on pasture where our JERSEYS thrived.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We do.
Got some bulls from a breeder up north of us who puts his out to pasture and if they do not thrive they hit the road.
He lives in an area that a couple years ago a jack rabbit had to pack a lunch due to the lack of forage. His Herefords did awesome while his neighbors cattle looked awful.

Too many guys are breeding for the "pretty" and not the "working" stock anymore. Had a neighbor who bought a bull from a very well known breeder. Paid over $6000 for this bull. I never saw a bull lose it's condition so fast in my life. Spent too much time in front of a feed bunk.

OtterCreekRanch

Reaction score
Love how the Hereford breeder suggest Herefords and the Galloway breeder suggest Galloways...

Let me throw Limflex (Limousin x angus) into the pot. You get the great marbling and easy conditioning of the angus, and the great muscle, high carcass yield and feed efficiency of the Limousin.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
OtterCreekRanch said:
Love how the Hereford breeder suggest Herefords and the Galloway breeder suggest Galloways...

Let me throw Limflex (Limousin x angus) into the pot. You get the great marbling and easy conditioning of the angus, and the great muscle, high carcass yield and feed efficiency of the Limousin.
:gig

Well if I dont fly the Galloway flag then nobody will :lol:
With that Lim x Angus discription youve made me hungry

shawn MN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How well is your fence. You manke it sound ok but how are your corner posts and the support braces?(cattle can and will lean on the fence and or corner post to scratch themselves and SNAP goes the rotten posts) Are the posts between your corners wood or metal t-post? If they are wood, how old do they look? Is your wire really rusty?(again with the SNAP but your wire this time) You can have alot of $$$ in your fence before you know it. It's just another thing to consider. :)

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Herefords? You must have some decent lines down there. Last herefords we had would not stay in condition on pasture where our JERSEYS thrived.
Really...Herefords became so popular back in the day for thriving on poor range land pastures. I don't grain my cattle.

redtailgal

Reaction score
We have polled Herefords round here, we dont grain either with the exception of a young pregnant heifer. I, personaly, wouldnt grain them either, but FIL likes to spoil his cattle a little.

We have a pretty hardy line, but it takes dedicated culling practices to keep them that way.