Hurricane Irma

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you checked around to see if anyone would consider hauling? Of course I have no idea how many animals you have…
There is a pretty big Ag building near Greensboro (taught a class there). Don't know if it will be opened or not. Praying you don't get the flooding or high winds!

We are about 3 miles in from the coast, and roughly 30 feet above sea level, so storm surge isn't likely to be an issue (though I have seen trees in our neighborhood show damage from salt spray). We aren't near any rivers, so th' ain't no creek to rise . .:p We're surrounded by trees, which are a sort of double-edged sword; they can help keep the wind speed down here near ground level, but they can fall on the house, too.

The horses (5) and the goats (2) are the least likely to have problems, really. Their barns are on some of the highest ground; I could put down a bunch of hay and water and they'd be good for at least 3 or 4 days (as long as the roof stayed on and the fence stayed up). The rabbits and the chickens, though - no power means no pump means no water, unless someone is here to run the generator.

I hope everyone, even people well inland, are keeping an eye on this storm. Some of the models are taking it across the mountains, and even into Tennessee and Kentucky. It's a long way out and certainly not set in stone, but some of those folks got dumped on by the remnants of Harvey, and I'm thinking they are probably still pretty wet. Irma would hardly be a hurricane at that point, but she'd still be a rainmaker, and I reckon that's something they probably don't need.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Harvey did do a lot of flood damage in northern Tennessee and into Kentucky as there are so many rivers and TVA lakes. The hilly terrain breaks up the winds but tornadoes don't seem to care and there were several in that same part of the state.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bunnylady fill everything you can with water. How many rabbits and chickens do you have? Can you lay hands on barrels or buy trash cans with lids? Please have a text friend out of the hurricane area to contact if you lose power and can't get online.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre we are. I have several LARGE water troughs I can fill, 10+ 3gal milk pails, lots of 5 gallon buckets so we should be good there. Probably should look into getting water for the humans :hide

Going to call our hay guy and ask if he can drop us another round bale.

I am thinking we'll be okay here, but still am watching closely.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's what a cat5 wind field looks like..keep in mind, it lasts for hours and hours..

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely put up some water for the humans! LOL Probably the best cup of coffee I ever had was boiled over a fire in my granite ware roasting pan, in the backyard after hurricane Rita. I had spent the night at a Red Cross shelter and went home at 5 AM to get some sleep, the smell of that wonderful coffee wafted through the window, probably brought to me on the wings of a mosquito, it woke me up. I staggered outside in my PJ's, bleary eyed and gratefully accepted a cup of coffee that took 6 or 7 grown men to prepare. :lol:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm about 1.5 hrs NW of Wilmington. Been there for some horse shows. Didn't the State Ag facility flood out with Fran?

Anyway. High here. I do expect a good amount of wind & rain. No trees by any structures, been re-checking things to be ready as I can. Have large, whole house size generator, getting extra gas tomorrow to be sure that's covered. Car & truck & tractor all full. Feed unloaded this AM. Plenty of propane, charcoal & small wood if needed to cook. Enough food for the entire neighborhood. Plenty of water troughs to hold an easy 400 gal. Couple stalls have bags of shavings to rebed "in case" -- most will be in their free use/run in barns. I have no work next week. So, can do what I need to do. Work Fri/Sat/Sun though, so prepping now.

Hope it doesn't get here but, expecting it. Will make some brownies but PLENTY of wine. :p Yep, enough for the entire neighborhood! Wish I could burn it in the generator. :lol:

ETA: Already have a few large tarps. Never know. Farm Ins all in place & paid.:cool:
Taking a few more inside pics tomorrow....just in case.

Last edited: