Hurricane Irma

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Good for you and bad for me. It going up the coast was concerning for us, but I wasn't overly worried about catastrophic damage. Strait up the peninsula is bad for us just east of Tampa.

Our original thought last weekend was to take the 15 does in the trailer and go to Perry,GA. Give the bucks and horses the run of the buildings/ shelters/ farm. Then it switched east and that could have been a bad place to be so we decided to stay for sure. Now we are stuck here. It's really too late to pack and leave with the traffic.

We have food and water for us, a huge tank of water and tons of hay/feed for the animals, a generator that will run everything but our AC and a small one in the barn for my milk machine. (Haha. Priorities with 13 goats in milk this season) Two of our does are mostly dried up. Three have (huge) doelings on them so I can skip milking them if needed but I have 5 who need milked at least every 24 hours. Depending on where the storm goes we will decide where the goats are going. By biggest worry is a huge tree falling on the shelter. I may put some Nigerians in the milk room in large crates since it's not under a tree and it's way off the ground. I might anchor the trailer in the buck pen since it has the least secure shelters. I'm going to be a nervous wreck at night when I can't see what's happening. We aren't in an evacuation zone or an area that floods at all.

I think @OneFineAcre has my cell number.
If you still have mine text me your number
I don't think I have yours
Stay safe

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
That puts you on the dirty side, doesn't it? Hopefully it will lose a lot of it's strength as Irma goes inland.
If it goes that track we may get 30
Mph gusts and 2-4 inches of rain
Our big threat was if she skirted the east of Florida and came in at Wilmington

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
30mph gusts and 2-4in of rain is child's play for us Floridians! I think we got 8 inches in a week two weeks ago.

I'm worried if we are too close to the eye wall. Winds like that scare me. The water I can deal with.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Fullhousefarm like you needed more rain..... Sounds like you at least have a good plan. Tie everything down, put everything up and hunker down. Keep us informed on how you are doing. Just having that bit of contact with someone makes you feel a little better.

We were in the middle of a raging hurricane one time when a friend in Arkansas sent us a text: Do you know why you can't see the news on TV? It's because you ARE the news on TV! It gave us a good laugh, especially as the power was out, we couldn't watch the news on TV, it was dark and the hurricane raged on.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've said it before but those storms are the reason I no longer live on the Florida Peninsula. This storm looks big enough to get most of the southeast U.S.

Hurricanes are one of the reasons we moved 160 more miles inland and are on high ground. It was hard to watch Houston on the news, I was raised there. But we are darn glad we aren't anywhere near there any more.