Idea on breed?

MakNat

Just born
Reaction score
_20160903_125346.JPG
Does anyone know what breed or cross this cow might be? I bought her because I think she is gorgeous. She was breed to a black angus bull and her calf is a beautiful grey.
_20160903_125346.JPG

Bernard

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
F2 Hereford cross cow probably crossed with Shorthorn or Red Angus.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I thought shorthorn too myself at first glance because of her head. She's got a big ol' shorthorn head. But she's pretty small. If she is a heifer then perhaps but my shorthorns crosses are massive.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, since we are all making "educated" guesses, I would go with a hereford, angus, shorthorn cross also . Legs look a little short so that probably rules out any exotic crosses like limi or tarentaise, could have a little bit of simental but can't see her rump. Darker nose means some angus in here somewhere, rather than real pink and she doesn't have the build so probably doesn't have charolais in her. Doesn't matter if she milks good and raises a nice calf.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture. I can't see her rear, her neck and head or how big she actually is to get a sense of breeding. Can't even see her leg to torso ratio properly to tell if she even has some continental breeding in her.

But that lightness around the eyes tells me that she may have some continental breeding in her, and it shows up in the calf too. Shorthorn, Hereford and Angus don't have those light points around the eyes like gelbvieh (or limousin, charolais or even some simmental) do, and her head actually looks quite gelbvieh-ish. I'd know limousin if her lip was not curved at the sides, and it looks like it's curved like in any other breeds; it's not showing up in the calf either. But a different picture from the side will verify that. Gelbvieh does have dilution genes that can cause offspring to come out grey like that.

She might have some simmental too. But one thing is for sure, she's a real mutt of a cow! (And I mean that in a good way!)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Momma looks Angus Sim X. BUT, the first thing that popped into my mind is a red baldy.

The light eye pigmentation I've seen show up in composite breeds, even in Beefmaster.
Not a great picture to illustrate it, (not mine) but you can see the light eye pigmentation in this Beefmaster calf.
BM_w350_100_0743.jpg

Older Beefmaster bull with same pigmentation:
BM_w350_100_0751.jpg

If calf's sire had been Char or Sim or even Sim/Char X you'd know it--it will lighten up considerably as it gets a few months older.

Entirely possible as well, that the momma is Beefmaster. They don't all nowadays have the heavy Bos Indus influence they once did.

But yep, lots of "diversity" in that momma.
If you are in the southern or southwestern US, the light color around the eyes would be considered a somewhat minor undesirable trait.

Latest posts