If you want BYCows to stay the way it is... Show it!

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I vote for keeping this a cows only forum. I like having a section where we can discuss other pets, but to sift out goats and sheep would be too much. JMO

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
laughingllama75 said:
I vote for keeping this a cows only forum. I like having a section where we can discuss other pets, but to sift out goats and sheep would be too much. JMO
The suggestion was to add subforums for these animals here. Not to intermix the sections. So I do not see a problem with it. The other animals would have there own subforums. Cow sections would still be cow sections. Goat sections would be goat sections etc............

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I still think that it would be best to leave things the way they are here. If you're going to have those sections anyway, why not have them under another name?

I see it this way: We are a small, elite group of people who own some of the largest domesticated animals. Anyone with half an acre of yard and a little money to burn can have a goat or a sheep. But not just anyone can have a cow. We have almost formed a little clan of people who love bovines. Having a sudden intrusion of goat and sheep people would mess up forum politics. All of a sudden, it would be harder to know everyone's name. We wouldn't be as close.

Don't get me wrong, I like goats. I'm thinking of getting one someday. But leave the goats people to be goat people and us to be cow people.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
kstaven said:
laughingllama75 said:
The suggestion was to add subforums for these animals here. Not to intermix the sections. So I do not see a problem with it. The other animals would have there own subforums. Cow sections would still be cow sections. Goat sections would be goat sections etc............
Funny, I don't see any suggestion except to add the goats etc. here.

Here are the posts pertaining to BYCows. They can be found at http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=180006&p=4
Rather than list the first two and repeating it over, this one (the third one) has them in full.
bheila said:
Sunny the Hippie Chick said:
Reinbeau said:
What about backyardherds.com. Too bad BYCows is already in existence, all herd animals could have been included in there.
Maybe they could change backyardcows to backyardherds and include all farm herd animals into it.. It might get that thread going a bit better too.. Its a bit slower than BYC....
I think that's a great idea :celebrate I don't know if the cow folks would like it too much. But BYChickens isn't just about chickens either.

Nifty, are you reading all of these great ideas? Hmmm? :caf
Skip said:
bheila said:
Sunny the Hippie Chick said:
Maybe they could change backyardcows to backyardherds and include all farm herd animals into it.. It might get that thread going a bit better too.. Its a bit slower than BYC....
I think that's a great idea :celebrate I don't know if the cow folks would like it too much. But BYChickens isn't just about chickens either.

Nifty, are you reading all of these great ideas? Hmmm? :caf
I'm there, and I don't think we'd want it over there. We like backyardcows, and that's good enough for us.
Another one covering a couple posts
conroy said:
Rainbow Eggs said:
griffin45 said:
Cows are covered, why not www.backyardgoatsandsheep.com

Chris
That's excellent! I'd vote for that one.
I didnt see that post I LIKE IT!!
My response.
Farmer Kitty said:
I'm against merging BYCows and goats. BYCows has been established as a cow site. We have worked hard for it.

Of course, our membership is smaller than BYChickens.
1. BYCows hasn't been around as long.
2. While you can have chickens in an apartment or backyard in town you can't do that with a cow. No way to be covert about them and most towns and cities do not allow cows.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Comparing chickens to cows is like comparing pennies to thousand dollar bills. It's money, but surely not the same. People aren't investing $3.00 in a small pet bird. For all purposes, a beginner's cow is a couple hundred and that is just the start of it. Literally, None of us can afford to become addicted to cows-- although if anyone hits the lottery it's an option! Even wynedot has to restrain himself at auctions!! And breeding a herd isn't a hobby, it's an occupation.
So for the chicken folks to group herding animals together is merely the unknowledgible speaking.
AS for making them a sub-group of BYC, do that many of byc members have goats and sheep that they would be helpful and/or contributing to conversations? If not, you may as well keep them separate. I know in our area, there is very little overlap in the farm species. Those families in 4H show one species--very seldom more than one.
Just my 2 cents-- the sheep/goats need their own forum.

1sherman

Just born
Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member...I also belong to BYC. AND I LIKE BOTH THE WAY THEY ARE NOW. I have sheep and goats and would love to see a BYS&G....can't we add another and just keep COWS....COWS.....your right they belong to a group by themselves not with other smaller animals....
You said everyone add their two cents worth ...SO I DID....

I have been reading comments for several months and think you are all great.... wandabean

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone on here about this. I really don't like the idea of a Backyard Herds forum because chances are that the folks that are associated with goats and sheep won't be participating in the discussion or politics on cattle or vice versa. You can't raise a cow or two in a suburb one-acre back yard; you can with goats and chickens. Like IMMG and GFG said, we cattle folk are an elite group of people that raise cattle not because it's a hobby or an interest, but because its a way of life, something that is much harder to let go than say sheep, goats or chickens, per say. With goats and sheep folk getting in the midst of things, we're going to get two separate groups of people that is highly likely to not be communicating with each other on the same forum except on the chat threads. The goat/sheep people will stay on their goat/sheep subforums or threads or whatever they're called and the cattle folk will stay on their threads/subforums/forums. Sure this BYCows don't have a lot of members but so what?? This forum is about as active as any forum can be, no matter if we got 2000 less members than BYChickens or the other sister forums. But the number of members have got nothing to do with this. It's the fact that if we introduce a few sheep/goat subforums it'll really skew things. So with that, I would much rather leave BackYardCows as it is from now on and have a separate Goat/Sheep forum for the goat/sheep folks.

And maybe you can add a BYPigs forum in the process. :)

That's all I gotta say about that.