I'm curious about udder operation

Pakalana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In my mind there's never too much information. Can you talk to me about how cow's udders operate? I know goats, pretty much the same? Stimulation, what gets that milk flowing in the first place, let down, withholding...(this is starting to sound strange. LOL)
Persnickity cows? What's your experience?

The reason I'm asking mainly is to better understand. I've noticed that some days Amy lets it flow like Niagara Falls, some days you'd think she was storing up for the end times, other days she can't seem to make up her mind. Just being a temperamental? Could it be milking style, still getting acquainted? My dh tried milking her, so I'd have a back-up. I've never seen a cow with inverted teats, but dang she came close. She was polite about it, no kicking, no tail flogging, she just didn't care for him. He's really rusty, hasn't milked since high school. Practice is in order when he switches to day shift.

What I've learned in my limited experience. Don't rush, give a nice little massage before hand, keep to the routine (works well for my personality anyway), stay calm. My goats always had a second let down. None of this is an issue, milking is soothing for me and it's a time where life is quiet for a little while.

Anyway, nothing I'm really concerned about, we'll get it figured out eventually. In the end it's like making biscuits, you can read up on how to make them but having someone show you helps. I'm just curious. There are some things you learn over time and they're usually things that don't end up in books.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the cow needs to let her milk down. Wash her about 30 secs before you milk her and do a gentle massage as you wash.

Some cows are fussy on who milks and some don't care. If your DH is rusty that won't help. I would suggest that he gets out there and practices when your around. This will get him refreshed and her used to him. Then when your not around they will be fine.

Pakalana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That is kind of what I was figuring. Thanks.

Here's what I do:
Brush her off from just in front of the udder back, get the loose hairs off and all that.
Wash with a warm wash, massage as I go.
Dry off, do a quick check of her teats and udder .
Milk her out. If she's holding back I'll massage her a bit.
Dip, bag balm and rub this in a bit to the teats and area directly above the teats.
Then she gets a quick brush head to tail, she's still finishing off the last of her alfalfa and I can give her the once over as I go.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like your doing good. I'm taking it that you are hand milking and not machine milking correct.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Dad used to have a milk cow that hated me or women in general?
She would come in for dad and the ex, but if it was me, I would have to go get her! She would stand and let down for them! I would get a dancy, tail switching, pee dribbling witch!
I don't know if the week they were out of town was harder on me or the stupid cow!
Even when she calved one time, the calf would not take the bottle from me, the ex walked over and grabbed the bottle, the cow moo'ed, and the calf drank?
Needless to say, I grew to hate that cow!

Since then, I did a little nerve damage to my left hand, if I try to milk with that hand, I get kicked! No clue what I am doing wrong, can't feel it!

Pakalana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty:
We're doing that on his days off (what few of them there are) on this night shift, he's at work for the evening milking and either at work for morning or just falling into bed. Push comes to shove I could call my FIL down in an emergency. Day shift comes in April, and it will be possible to get him out there more often.
My FIL has volunteered a surge milker, so that should take care of things once it gets here and is working.

thewife:
That was my goat milker. Oh did she like you until she got up on the stand. I ended up tieing her back feet or she'd kick the bucket over, step in it, even with that she'd pee, poop, bend herself into a pretzel as much as she could. She'd still dance around on the front end, try going down on the front end but the stanchion wouldn't let her....didn't stop her from trying though. I lost her, but if that hadn't happened I'd planned on replacing her. The only one she'd stand still for was my oldest, she loved him. He milked her out as much as he could (just learning at the time) and I'd finish her up. She was such a wench.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
I don't milk my cows, but I know what you're talking about. Sometimes they don't have that much milk, sometimes there's so much that it just spills out all over the place. Nothing bad has happened to my cows yet. I think it's normal.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes cows can an will hold their milk up on pourpose.i dont care if your hand or machine milking.they will hold it up.i got good at machine stripping cows.because i knew wich cows held some milk up.