I'm I feeding too much alfalfa hay too fast?

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My horse normally gets 2 flakes of coastal hay per day. As a Christmas surprise, I bought some green alfalfa for her & the chickens. The flakes feel very heavy & as I gave the horse her evening flake, I started wondering if this is a bad idea to just switch so quickly. Now I'm worried. Should I run out & take it away & give her costal instead?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do not have horses so I really am not the best one to answer your question, however in goats an abrupt change can cause issues.
Maybe just pull off a few handfuls and mix it in with your normal hay.

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks so much. My common sense tells me your right.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, best to mix slowly.

But I wonder why you give it to the chickens? Mine only nest in it, giving them expensive alfalfa hay would be a massive waste.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, best to mix slowly.

But I wonder why you give it to the chickens? Mine only nest in it, giving them expensive alfalfa hay would be a massive waste.
Our chickens and geese love alfalfa. We often give our geese chopped alfalfa when everything goes dormant here for the winter.

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks. @secuono, Just a Christmas treat. The chickens love picking out the green leaves in the winter. If you protect from the weather, a flake last for a very long time. I use straw or coastal in the nest. It's a rare treat at $18 a bale.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes -- intro any new feed slowly & mix with old.

My chickens like to eat the flakes of alfalfa that drop out from the hay the goats & horses eat. I've taken handful of those dropped leaves from hay storage & put in a pile for them. They like it -- plus -- good nutrition for them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Weird, maybe it's because I free range them? IDK or might just be my luck to always get chickens who want to be different than typical, lol.
Ours are free ranged too... the chickens are typical... they will peck at it , eat it but not like the geese. Geese love it. I think because geese are grass eaters, chickens really aren't ... they like bugs. I would say your chickens are normal. lol ;)

Latest posts