I'm woolin' it!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are you using to wash with? Dawn? Or a power scour? I tried Dawn with the freebie wool I was given and it removed the lanolin, but made it a little dry? I bought unicorn power scour but haven't tried it yet.

All three below I previously used on this fleece.
Kokabara, power scour & dawn. Its nuts.
Using just dawn this time, as it's too expensive to use the others.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
3 tiny bits of wool drying.
20191120_183245.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found a mill I can drive to, so will be making a 1.5hr road trip to drop off Kibito's 6.5 pound fleece to be washed of all lanolin & 2-3wks later, I'll be heading back to pick it up.
What do they charge for that?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Decided to bag & take along 3 fleeces to be turned into roving.
Billy's raw fleece & Periwinkle's washed fleece, mix of greys, to be blended together. Then Krillin's raw fleece to be done alone, as his is black.

I wonder how different mills will handle the same fiber and how it'll turn out.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get through the other partly processed fleeces by the time they're done.

I would have the mill turn it into yarn, but it would be about
5# of fleece turned to roving is $60, but then into yarn would be an additional $125. Not sure how much yarn it would end up being, but $185 for yarn is so much...And that wouldn't include my fees for caring for the sheep, shearing, hauling to n from mill. Guess I'll ask for a rough number of yards.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Started back up with doing a messy Billy yarn that'll be 3plyed.
Also working on Majin's fleece into rolags in between Billy work.

Mill made core spun yarn from alpaca seconds, showed us. I think I'll do that with my guys' seconds in the spring. I didn't shear necks and legs, so, hopefully, it'll be nice n long & this I'll post for sale.
Not sure what I'll do with their blankets yet, but I can't keep hoarding it...did a 50/50 trade for yarn with a spinner, but I don't want to loose any to a trade any more. Will ask that spinner if she's willing to take sheep fleeces as the trade.

I wonder if I should of had the Corriedale turned into roving as well...But then I remember that the Corriedale fiber I bought in the past was "sliver", so premium quality for spinning. Roving won't be as perfect, so I might as well do it myself instead.

My finished yarn pile is starting to add up!
I need to figure out what to do with it. Do I keep hoarding it, pick a fancy knit pattern and an item of clothing & try making it or just sell the yarn...Hats & scarves are easy, but don't really sell.

Last edited:

Latest posts