In Case of Emergency ~ Sheep

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Check here for quick reference of relevant discussions: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=226427#p226427

Post your Emergency threads in this forum for full coverage to all members to assist you:

Emergencies, Injuries & Cures Forum

Please only post true emergencies in the Emergencies, Injuries & Cures forum. All other issues should be placed in the appropriate diseases forum for that particular animal species.

What is an emergency?

Wikipedia states:

An emergency is a situation that poses an immediate risk to health or life. Most emergencies require urgent intervention to prevent a worsening of the situation. Some emergencies are not immediately threatening to life, but might have serious implications for the continued health and well-being of the animal (although a health emergency can subsequently escalate to be threatening to life).

In order to be defined as an emergency, the incident should be one of the following:
Immediately threatening to life or health.
Have already caused loss of life or health detriments.
Have a high probability of escalating to cause immediate danger to life or health.

JPR027

Just born
Reaction score
I think my ewe may have been snake bit. Her head is swollen. Eyes are nearly swollen shut. She has difficulty breathing and a little bloody discharge from her nose. She is mobile. She is not bloated. I gave her a teaspoon of Benadryl. I read in an earlier post about a similar symptom. My question is how much Benadryl and how often. Has anyone had a similar situation?

WildTurkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Check here for quick reference of relevant discussions: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=226427#p226427

Post your Emergency threads in this forum for full coverage to all members to assist you:

Emergencies, Injuries & Cures Forum

Please only post true emergencies in the Emergencies, Injuries & Cures forum. All other issues should be placed in the appropriate diseases forum for that particular animal species.

What is an emergency?

Wikipedia states:

An emergency is a situation that poses an immediate risk to health or life. Most emergencies require urgent intervention to prevent a worsening of the situation. Some emergencies are not immediately threatening to life, but might have serious implications for the continued health and well-being of the animal (although a health emergency can subsequently escalate to be threatening to life).

In order to be defined as an emergency, the incident should be one of the following:
Immediately threatening to life or health.
Have already caused loss of life or health detriments.
Have a high probability of escalating to cause immediate danger to life or health.
the link provides an error, so trying it this way anyway ...
I have a Katadhin ewe who gave birth in March ... I am still fattening her up for fall and winter as she is a bit skinny in my opinion...
Now this week I noticed she is lying down more often, browses less but does eat her alfalfa/beetpulp/grains in the morning and evening ...
She IS eating but not as much as she used to ...what could be up?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too much grain and too little grazing can upset the balance in her rumen. Or it may be that she is getting full on the alfalfa/beetpulp/grain and doesn’t want as much browse or grass. Has she gained weight and looking In better condition?

If she isn’t skinny any more, she might not be as hungry, thus eating the “good stuff” and not much else. Maybe cut back on the alfalfa and beet shreds if she is in better condition now.

WildTurkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Too much grain and too little grazing can upset the balance in her rumen. Or it may be that she is getting full on the alfalfa/beetpulp/grain and doesn’t want as much browse or grass. Has she gained weight and looking In better condition?

If she isn’t skinny any more, she might not be as hungry, thus eating the “good stuff” and not much else. Maybe cut back on the alfalfa and beet shreds if she is in better condition now.
thanks fort that input ... of course that makes totally sense cuz together its a lot of fiber ... duuh should have thought of that ...
She IS looking a bit better, but I think she can use a little more bit fat o the hips ... she could have mine though ;-)

WildTurkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Check her for possible worm load? She have vitamin/min access? She walk ok when up and moving or limping? Fever? Have hay available? Are lambs still nursing?
yes minerals, vitamins and salt all available at free choice ... worm load acceptable ... and yes babies are still nursing so now and then, which takes a lot of energy from her to produce milk .... She is up and walking and grazing and has a better posture ... I am not worried ...

Latest posts