Injury just above hoof, Now same thing on back leg

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Isn't rain rot a bacterial infection? I used to think it was fungal but have since read that it's bacterial in nature. Didn't know Ivermectin treated infections but I've heard that NuStock does wonders for rainrot.

I had never heard of using Ivermectin either. When I lived in OR and could still ride my horses (from CO) kept getting it. Took forever to clear up and used multiple different things. My DDs TB ended up getting it 2 years ago and I was at a local farmers market. The guy running the tack stall told me to use it. I did and it cleared up VERY fast! I didn't do anything but the ivermectin. Such an easy solution I can't believe I didn't know about 15 years ago!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, I am looking at getting that Oster A5. Why all the different blades? What do you use them on? Could I start with just 2 or 3 different sizes? The Oster comes with a 10. I need to get something if I am going to be at all ready for the show coming up...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like having a 40 blade, 30,15,10, 7F and 6F blades for goats.

#40 is surgical - so nice for wound clean up and udders for show
#30 is like a 40 so you could use either for above

15 & 10 are very close to the same... just stick with the 10 that comes with it

7F against the grain gives a great show clip without balding- 6F is similar just a bit longer

I use a lot of blades ( remember I did show and pet grooming so I am super fussy!).

It is IMPERATIVE you get Cool lube- and also blade wash.

The cool lube will need to be sprayed on the blade while clipper is running if the blade starts to get hot, you don't want to burn your goat. It also lubricates it.
It will come with oil to oil your blades.
The blade wash I may just write a tutorial on.

I have like 5 7F blades beecause I just snap one on after another to get through the goats.
If the clipper itself gets hot STOP! Wait til it cools down.

Right now you could get away with a 10, 7F

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cool l Lube or the 5 & 1 ... I ALWAYS and have for over 30 years used cool lube. LOL
The blade wash is a must - you won't need it all the time but when you do you will be kicking yourself that you don't have it.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah... I was putting my new Oster clippers to use today. Found out why Iris had dry skin when I was shaving my buck. Lice! Didn't you mention that lice on goats has been an issue this year @Southern by choice? Never had that before either. I am pretty sure that means I need to scratch my buck from the show I was going to put him in this Saturday. But my senior doe and both my junior are free. Do I need to scratch them as well?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
No you just need to treat them. If before you go to the show you still have them then scratch.

In this case I would do the permethrins 10% concentrate and get a quick kill on the lice. Mix it up according to directions on the bottle. We like to bath ours and use it in the bath, after the bath rinse and pour remaining "dip" over them. We like the bath part so every nook and cranny gets it.

After that maybe in two weeks use Cylence. It will take care of ticks as well.

Latest posts