Introducing Beaux

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule sorry for hijacking your thread!
Hijacking does not bother me one bit. It is like a river, meandering along, going this way then that way, but it is still a river and eventually gets to where it is going. It is all the little stops along the way that makes it more interesting.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Dave's original Q got answered... Chickens DO like dirt for dust bathing in. No matter how big the run is that you give to them, in due course they WILL make the entire thing a barren wasteland "for dust bathing in". The fodder boxes pictured, if you look closely, are covered with hardware cloth to PREVENT the chickens from turning the area the box encompasses into a moon surface. Chickens actually like plant/grass covered ground as it contains many more tasty treats than a barren soil area. The problem is, in their scratching around with those raptor talons, they destroy the vegetation. That's the reason why chicken tractors... they get moved daily or every so often so the birds have new greenery to destroy and fertilize.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hijacking does not bother me one bit. It is like a river, meandering along, going this way then that way, but it is still a river and eventually gets to where it is going. It is all the little stops along the way that makes it more interesting.

We all tend to "hijack" someone else's thread quite often. I know I'm guilty of it. I don't mind if others do that to my thread either. Like you said above it's the little stops along the way that makes it interesting! (Like the "teats on buck" topic in my journal, hahaha!)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wondering Bay, how Beaux is doing now after the intense lesson?
After a few more episodes that I prevented him from killing any more chickens, my husband and I talked it over and decided to find him another home. I ran an ad on Craigslist with a good description, including that he killed chickens. There was a lot of interest, but no one met my criteria. Yesterday a lady called and we talked. She sounded perfect. She and her husband came and picked him up. They have 15 acres surrounded by 150 acres of family land, they have a 4 year old boy, a Catahoula/Labrador cross, 2 Australian shepherds and NO chickens. She works at a vet clinic, Beaux went right to them and they all fell in love. It was heart wrenching to let him go, but I couldn't trust him out of my sight. We miss him.

Since we moved here 3 years ago, we lost 2 of our beloved dogs. We have two Great Pyrenees that love us fiercely and we love them even more. But our house feels so empty. We are still grieving the loss of Parker, and now Beaux. But I really feel that Beaux is in a better situation now and will be happier. I guess we will start looking around for another Labrador or Lab mix.

Latest posts