Introducing Beaux

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Pastor Dave my former coop at our old house was Fort Knox. I built it strong. The run was covered and the whole thing was skirted with hardware cloth two feet wide to prevent digging in. I never lost a bird. Since moving here I’ve had a series of random coops, but none like what I had. I’m gonna have to step it up.

I have an old boat trailer I wish I could give you to build your portable coop on. LOL

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry Bay... joys of puppyhood. :tongue:confused: Some old timers I've heard would tie that dead chicken to the dog's neck and leave it there to rot off. Of course the ASPCA gestapo might find that grounds for the firing squad for the person who did it. :hide:duc

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will probably have something on stilts so they can have cover under it and attach some flip down castors or dollies. I plan to use T posts for the run and have a mesh cover for a grain semi trailer or something. It resembles real strong netting with abt half inch mesh. I thought it might work for the top. I figured using 4" fencing and line it with chicken wire. Maybe 6-1/2' high by 8' wide and maybe 10-12' long. If I move the coop, I guess I pull up posts for the run, but I have a huge shade tree I want it under, so not sure how it'll work. Then do I put em in rabbit shed for winter, hang a heat bulb wherever they end up in the Fall? Got a lot to work out in my head, and that can be a scary place to be for very long. Lol

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will probably have something on stilts so they can have cover under it and attach some flip down castors or dollies. I plan to use T posts for the run and have a mesh cover for a grain semi trailer or something. It resembles real strong netting with abt half inch mesh. I thought it might work for the top. I figured using 4" fencing and line it with chicken wire. Maybe 6-1/2' high by 8' wide and maybe 10-12' long. If I move the coop, I guess I pull up posts for the run, but I have a huge shade tree I want it under, so not sure how it'll work. Then do I put em in rabbit shed for winter, hang a heat bulb wherever they end up in the Fall? Got a lot to work out in my head, and that can be a scary place to be for very long. Lol

Couple things...only when we get polar freezes do the chickens need protection from the elements other than a coop. Also, look up fodder boxes for chickens. That’s what I plan on doing so that I don’t have to worry with moving mine frequently. Awnings work nicely for shade and additional protection from the elements.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Wehner Homestead, post: 565307, member: Also, look up fodder boxes for chickens. That’s what I plan on doing so that I don’t have to worry with moving mine frequently. Awnings work nicely for shade and additional protection from the elements.[/QUOTE]

Is this idea for ground cover or to provide organic material to eat? I thought chickens liked a dirt yard to take dirt baths and eat any bugs that happen to venture through.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Wehner Homestead, post: 565307, member: Also, look up fodder boxes for chickens. That’s what I plan on doing so that I don’t have to worry with moving mine frequently. Awnings work nicely for shade and additional protection from the elements.

Is this idea for ground cover or to provide organic material to eat? I thought chickens liked a dirt yard to take dirt baths and eat any bugs that happen to venture through.[/QUOTE]

To provide organic material to eat. They can have space to take dirt baths and eat bugs too. The idea is to build a frame that grows the forage while having a fencing over it that the chickens can’t scratch up the plants with their feet and can’t eat the whole plant. They get what grows through the small holes keeping them in organic feeding material.

I have way more chickens than you intend to so your area can be much smaller than mine. I’ll need several forage boxes. I also want things for entertainment. I’ll google and copy a few pics for you.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Pastor Dave here are some quick pics.

Fodder box example.
FF259DB7-B94F-4F2E-ADD9-FA833DF8E836.jpeg

Some quick entertainment ideas...
43822788-56DB-4C39-996A-D59BA54B28C0.jpeg
69CDB92E-4806-40FC-BFEB-35CD388C52D5.jpeg

166DB3EB-0C70-4FDD-99D1-5C317E42FC6D.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have a coop up on stilts for them to have cover underneath, then you can expect to crawl under it to get the eggs. Make sure it is high enough to be able to get under it and small enough to be able to reach the eggs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The missing hen came out from under the building that evening, hot and thirsty, hanging around the coop, trying to get back in. It was Rose, a hen that was injured as a baby chick, our oldest grand daughter held her all weekend, and she survived. So I got the fish net, captured Rose and looked her over for injuries. She was ok! I opened up the door to her coop, only to be met by Alfred the rooster. He attacked her in my hands. I was stunned. Alfred is a laid back boy, never gives me any trouble. But Alfred was not having Rose back. So now Rose is in a little coop by herself. Stupid rooster.

Beaux is on the cable this morning. He sure would love to run and play, but I am not out there with him, so this is how it is going to be. I am down to one "yard" chicken.