1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction & Help me think this through? Adding goats to our family?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by seachick, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

Personally, I haven't found my Nigerians to be loud. I have mainly Nigerians but I do have an Alpine and a Boer goat. They are all loud when they want their breakfast. They are also all loud if they are out in the field and want to come in. I'm sure there are some loud Nigerians but I haven't found mine to be any worse than the full size goats that I have.

But, you need to find what is available in your area because you need to find someone who will let you use their buck since you can't keep one of your own. So I would visit as many local farms as possible and find out what places will allow you to use their bucks. That may be the deciding factor for what kind of goats.

2. Jun 2, 2010
    Chirpy

Chirpy Loving the herd life

My Nigis aren't any louder than my full size dairy goats and they are generally completely quiet until they see someone outside... then they get quite verbal about wanting attention. When I'm outside working and they are running around outside their fence with me... they seldom make any noise either... it's just when they are locked up and want OUT because the see a person.

3. Jun 7, 2010
    jodief100

jodief100 True BYH Addict

I have heard pigmys are great escape artists. I had them as a kid and they never got out. I lived in Arizona and the only grass around was in our field. If they got out all they had to eat was cactus. The best way to keep a goat in is make sure there is nothing more appealing on the other side of the fence. That is far more difficult than it sounds unless you live in the desert.
    The best way to keep the weed load off an electric fence is to spray it. That is why I do not use permanent electric fences, I dont like to spray. If you must keep your goats in, I highly recommend electric fence.
    You will not be able to keep a buck. A rutting buck will pee on himself and smell AWFUL! I love goats and cannot stand being around a rutting buck. They also tend to be the most vocal in the herd.
    Some cities will allow a variance for farm animals if your kids are in 4-H. You might want to try that route. While I would recommend a full size goat because they are less likely to escape, a pigmy would be easier to classify a pet.

Keep in mind, if your land is boggy you will have more hoof and worm problems.

I know a goat farmer in Maine, they raise mostly Boers but keep some milk goats. Real nice folks, always willing to help.

http://www.dragonflycovefarm.com/index.shtml

4. Jun 7, 2010
    seachick

seachick Chillin' with the herd

Thanks for all the help, folks! I really appreciate it.

5. May 16, 2019
    seachick

Hi- OP here reviving a very old thread! Well, we are FINALLY getting goats :) 2 NG doelings from very good milking lines. I am so excited!!! We've got a temporary paddock and shelter set up for them while we build a 12' x 20' mini-barn to house them, kidding stall, hay storage, and separate chicken coop. I'm back to this forum looking for tips. What do you guys think about the low-lying wooded area in our back yard? Should I include it in their pasture? I know they'd love to forage there, but it's pretty soggy, especially in spring when it's basically all swampy.

6. May 16, 2019
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Welcome back.
    Have you been on Old Mountain Farms waiting list for the last 9 years? :D =D

I don't know about the low lying area. I guess it depends on how much forage there is back there, and how many goats you plan to eventually have.

7. May 16, 2019
    seachick

Haha re: Old Mountain Farms! I'm getting one doeling from Rosasharn in MA and one from Humble Acres in ME :)

We plan on having 2 primarily, and only more (kids) for those 8-9 weeks after kidding.