Is my pigmy mommy rejecting her baby

Karen P

Herd lurker
Reaction score
My pigmy second time mommy delivered two babies yesterday. She appeared to be doing well until this evening when I noticed she was picking one of them up by the tail and throwing her away and biting her. She loves on the other kid but not this one. It seems healthy and strong. I am afraid she is rejecting the one kid. Do I need to start bottle feeding or watch it? She rejected one of her babies at her last delivery and she birthed a stillborn with this delivery.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd be pulling & bottle feeding that kid ASAP!
She may end up killing this kid if you don't do something. I just saw a post on FB that someone's pygmy/ND killed both its kids...with her horns :hit

Something *could* be wrong with this kid, causing her to reject it, but maybe not. I would still pull and bottle feed though.

You need to milk mamma goat and start feeding her milk. You need to SLOWLY transition the kid to whatever you want to use. Keeping the kid on goat milk until weaning is best.

Karen P

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I was thinking that too. She hasn't horned it that I have seen. She licks on it some but then will bite it and throw it away by taking it by the tail. The other one she rejected she just wouldn't touch it at all. I was hoping she wouldn't reject it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a doe that rejected one of her kids, twice. I would hold the doe up against a fence three times a day and let the kid nurse. It was easier for me than bottle feeding. I never felt that my kid was in any danger, but every doe is different.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Sorry you're having problems with your doe and her kid(s). Hope you can get it worked out. If you get a chance, some pictures would be appreciated! Glad you joined us. Browse around and make yourself at home!