Is this cross would make a good family cow?

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just read your journal and want to know how your doing. How's the growing farm family?

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Everyone is doing fine, they are fat and sazzy. :D

I have been battling mastitis in Bella's right back quarter. It keeps coming back every time I treat her. Its very frustrating. It started back in July 15, and treated her with penicillin, then it was gone right away, but the production in that quarter has never been the same. Mastitis came back in mid December, and I have been treating it with Vit D 2 times, and Spectamas 3 times. It only work for a few days then becomes infected again although I have been dipping her teats with iodine every time I milk her. :he *sigh* I will just have to give up on that quarter and let it dry up. Maybe it will heal and go back to normal next time she freshens in August. :fl

If I don't get another cow by May, I will dry up Bella in May 1st, so she will have a nice 3 1/2 month break before she is due to calve. But I am hoping to get a pure Guernsey cow from an Amish farm in March, if I do get a lactating cow, then I will dry Bella off right away.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear everyone's doing great.

Have you been treating her only when she's ill then stopping treatments as soon as it goes away? That could be the problem. Relapses happen most often when you do this, not keeping up with the treatments a few days after she's "healed" up, or showed signs of the infection going away. Good way to get the bacteria to develop resistance to the drugs your using and make it twice as hard to get the quarter to heal up fully. JM2C.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The last treatment I gave was a day apart. Injected on Sunday, and repeated on Monday. I dislike using drugs, but it was the only way to rid of the issue, but did not work. :he

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nice to hear most is good. Sorry about the Mastisis issues. Yeah, its best to do a full series of treatments to nip it in the bud. It can be very painful for the animals to keep getting the infection and I agree to stop milking on that quarter.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will milk out that quarter for the last time, and inject the rest of vitamin D that I have in that quarter. Vitamin D is suppose to help fight against the infection, so my hope is that it will also help heal the mammary gland too. Then when she freshens, I will see if it had worked or not.

Here is today's picture of the herd in the snowstorm.

5723_e41a1698.jpg

Yes, Maybelle have a nose pokey thing on her nose, its the only way that she can't nurse. ;)

These were taken last week when we got spring-like thaw that produced heavy fog and lots of rain!

Can you spot Maybelle in one of these pictures??? :p
5723_e41a1687.jpg

5723_e41a1688.jpg

5723_e41a1686.jpg

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Have you tried Oil of Oregano? I've heard of people around here using it with good results. Your calves have grown really well, too!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cricket said:
Have you tried Oil of Oregano? I've heard of people around here using it with good results. Your calves have grown really well, too!
No, I have not heard of Oil of Oregano. I do have some in the garden, that is if the hogs have not eaten the entire bed... Won't know until spring...

Snowstorm is over, and the sun is out!!!

5723_e41a1727.jpg

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, it has been a while since I had posted here. And a lot have happened since then. An brief rundown- The 20 acre land next to us that the owner had let me use for the cows got sold(I have been wanting to buy for years, but had no money), so I had to get everything off by March 14, and that leaves only 3 acre of pasture for my cows. So we will have to get the steers butchered/sold in a week or two, so there will be more grass for Bella and Maybelle. I got 2 goats, so they can clear the pasture and the woods of weeds and brush so more grass can grow for the cows. Bella have passed halfway through pregnancy! 5 months along and 4 more months to go! Woot!

AND the most exciting thing is- That my best friend and I drove 156 miles one way today to get these......(I did the driving, and my friend supervises. lol)
It was a beautiful day for driving!

In their new home at my friend's farm. We are keeping the Guernsey calves at his farm, I will take mine home if our pasture can support another cow, or I have found a farm to buy. I brought one, and my friend brought the other. Mine is the darker one, and I named her- Willow. The big cow with the horns- Bonnie- is the mother of my cow- Bella. She is pure Guernsey too, but my cow is half Guernsey.

The other Guernseys at the farm where we got the calves from.

This cow is about 11 or 12 years old, and still going strong!

This cow (Sweety) is the mother of my calf. Her name is Sweety because she gives very sweet milk, and my calf will do the same. Can't wait to try her milk when she calves in about 2 years!

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
THose calves are to DIE for!!! I am so jealous, I would love to get a Guernsey calf too! Gorgeous! :love

Latest posts